[AI] Happy accident: Blind in left eye

Kanchan Pamnani kanchanpamnani at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 06:51:14 EST 2019

Happy accident: Blind in left eye, man sees again

 Mumbai Mirror | Jan 1, 2019, 06.00 AM IST Praful Shah 72-year-old Thane
resident Praful Shah had lost vision to small pox in infancy; can see again
after an accident; docs say he was probably never 100% blind. A peculiar
medical condition resulting from a brush with death turned out to be a
newyear blessing for a septuagenarian. On December 22, Thane resident
Praful Shah was riding pillion with his nephew Dhiren when their bike
tripped on metro construction material in Mulund. Admitted to Fortis
hospital with multiple fractures and cuts and bruises, Shah realised he
could see from his left eye, in which he had lost vision to small-pox as a
oneyear-old. While Shah and family would like to cling to the “miracle”
theory, doctors say vision can’t be restored in cases of 100 per cent
blindness, so it might be that Shah had never lost sight completely. “The
fact that Shah has regained his vision means he was never 100 per cent
blind in the left eye,” Dr TP Lahane, renowned ophthalmologist from
government-run JJ Hospital, told Mirror. Dr Lahane said it’s possible that
trauma to Shah’s right eye during the recent accident led to activation of
muscles in the left eye, helping the 72-year-old see again. The earlier
condition of not being able to see from one eye could, according to Dr
Lahane, be a condition called amblyopia, which can result from not being
able to focus clearly. Amblyopia, he said, can either be caused by
misalignment of the two eyes or decreased vision in one or both eyes due to
abnormal development of vision during infancy. Shah and his family,
however, are thanking god and their stars. “Since childhood, my uncle was
unable to see from his left eye. When he met with an accident, his right
eye was injured and swollen. We got worried and started asking if he could
see from his right eye. We were shocked when he said that he can see from
his left eye as well,” said Shah’s nephew Mayur, adding that the family
thought that he was confused after the accident. “When he insisted, we
contacted the doctors who refused to believe us. “It’s been some days now,
and he can still see from both the eyes. It is bound to be a miracle,” said
Mayur, adding that they have seen Shah pointing to a spider web around the
window which wasn’t visible to anyone else. Discharged from the hospital on
Saturday, Shah told Mirror, “In the past 70 years, my parents and I visited
several doctors. I put everything behind me. Life must go one, I told
myself. It has been a happy accident.” According to Dr Lahane, the trauma
probably shifted vision from the right eye to left. He said that it’s
possible that it will go back to square one after the victim recovers
completely from his injuries. Until them, though, Shah and his family are
basking in the rare happiness.