[AI] Acquiring mastery of orientation skills

Vamshi. G gvamshiai at gmail.com
Sun May 13 10:09:14 EDT 2018

Dear Rahul,

I am still young in mobility as I've started using the cane only in
the last 3 years.  As you rightly said, I wonder at the orientation
skills of some of my blind friends.  I suppose orientation comes only
with practice.  I follow a model of combination of all the aspects
like cane, using landmarks, bit of orientation, little residual
vision, and support from others.  In familiar locations, you can
always practice to orient well with the environment.  In new
locations, you have to necessarily depend on people around.   If you
want to practice from the gate to your seat, do it a number of times
so that you get used to it.  Otherwise identify landmarks which you
can use.  For example, when I come down on the ramp at my office, I
have to take right at the second wooden pillar which is a projection.
I look for the landmark though I can't orient exactly .  As far as
sighted people's support is concerned, tell them politely that you are
confident on your own.  Once they come to know of your skills, they
will not come in your way.  But if you fumble in their presence, they
will not leave you alone.  Therefore, have a known person during the
initial practice.  Or tell them how much they need to support you.  At
times, some  auto driver leaves me at a place which I can't orient, I
ask the people around to take me only till the main gate from where I
can be on my own.  Finally, as far as getting lost is concerned,its
our right(smile).  The best advice I got from a very experienced blind
friend who is an expert in mobility when I was learning white cane is
that not to get disappointed when we get lost.  It happens with
everyone.  Only thing is to ensure you don't end up facing risk due to
getting lost.

--
G. Vamshi
Mobile: +91 9949349497