[AI] Acquiring mastery of orientation skills

Rahul Bajaj rahul.bajaj10038 at gmail.com
Sat May 12 10:42:47 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

I hope this message finds you well. While I have acquired considerable proficiency in the use of the cane, I still have weak orientation skills. Basically, I am able to use the cane in familiar settings like my office, but require sighted assistance when I need to get to a particular location, say from my vehicle.
In other words, my O and M skills have not reached a stage when I can get from my vehicle to, say, the 4th room on the left on the third floor of a building that I need to go to. This is on account of my inability to act on the instructions that someone might give me, and logistical challenges such as using the lift independently. Plus, another concern is dealing with offers of assistance from sighted people which are hard to politely reject and considerably slow down one's progress. Finally, there's a fear of getting lost or going in the wrong direction which can result in the wastage of a lot of time. Any thoughts?

Best,
Rahul

Sent from my iPhone