[AI] Denied access to hospitals without assistant

Poonam poonam.vaidya at gmail.com
Wed May 9 09:02:16 EDT 2018

Hi friends,
Last month, I was admitted into Sreedhareeyam Ayurvedic Hospital in
Kochi. Before going, I had met the main doctor, Dr. Srikanth in the
Sreedhareeyam clinic Bangalore and discussed plans about going to the
hospital without an assistant. He suggested that I have an assistant for
the first 3 days since I was new and then I could manage alone. So this
is what I did. However, on the second last day before my assistant was
due to leave, the doctors started saying it would not be possible for me
to stay alone. The reason they gave me was that I did not have enough
vision to manage. I had already arranged laundry, cafeteria services,
etc and there was absolutely nothing I could not do alone. However, they
still said no and I had to return.
Another Naturopathy hospital, Jindal also has continuously denied me
treatment and finally agreed if I take the most expensive accomodation
with an assistant.
I am writing this to ask any of you who know about the legal angle of
denying a person with disability into a  hospital/clinic without an
assistant. I really do not need an assistant nor do I feel comfortable
having one. Does the 2016 PWD Act have anything on this? The two
hospitals are private, not government funded.
I plan to write to the NHAB (National Health Accreditation Board), the
hospital authorities and some journalist friends. Any more suggestions
are welcome.

Poonam