[AI] Disclosure of disability in a job application: your personal views

Kartik Sawhney sawhney.kartik at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 01:43:24 EDT 2018

Hi,

This is a very personal decision in my opinion. A resume is meant to
highlight some of the most important things you'd like to tell about
yourself to a potential employer. If you decide that disability is one
of those things, then sure, it should be included. However, if you
think that disability is not as key from a resume perspective, and
you'd only like to include it to give a heads-up to the employer, then
I don't think that's necessary, especially for a visible disability.
In any case, during the interview, the interviewers would know that
you are a person with a disability. But at that time, you will have an
opportunity to explain how you can accomplish your job well using
assistive technology and how you have not let your disability be an
impediment in the past. In India and the US both, there continues to
be a lack of awareness, but it is not always the case that people
don't want to understand. Your resume may be reviewed by people who
genuinely don't think you can do the task because they really don't
know anything about disability, but the same people might be the most
supportive once you demonstrate how you do your work. Of course, you
might need to disclose even before interview but after you have been
shortlisted for one to get reasonable accommodations. Personally, I
disclose disability indirectly on my resume through my work in the
field and awards etc.

Best,
-Kartik