[AI] Fwd: {Disability Studies India} Child abuse in NIVH

avinash shahi shahi88avinash at gmail.com
Tue May 22 00:50:57 EDT 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Satendra Singh <dr.satendra at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 21 May 2018 22:46:33 +0530
Subject: {Disability Studies India} Child abuse in NIVH
To: disability-studies-india <disability-studies-india at googlegroups.com>

TIMES OF INDIA
DEHRADUN: In a revelation that has sent shockwaves throughout the staid
campus of the National Institute
<https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/National-Institute> for the Visually
Handicapped (NIVH <https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/NIVH>) in the city, an
enquiry conducted by the Uttarakhand Child Rights Commission
<https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/Uttarakhand-Child-Rights-Commission> (UCRC
<https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/UCRC>) has found that a visually impaired
teacher working in the music department of the institute had been involved
in sexually assaulting his male students for almost a decade.
The enquiry was conducted following a complaint to the commission by the
father of a student a few weeks ago alleging that his son was twice
sodomised by the teacher.

The visually impaired student had also submitted his complaint to the
institute, a copy of which is with TOI, that says, “On February 13 while
returning from Jaipur by train, my music teacher thought that I was asleep
and assaulted me sexually in the train. A similar incident happened on
March 5 when I was called inside his room for practising music and was
sexually assaulted by him again.”

Following the complaint, the commission constituted an enquiry panel which
found that the student’s allegations were true. The panel in its report
submitted on May 17 said that they had found that the teacher had been
involved in similar acts with multiple other students as well for almost a
decade.

The commission has now sent a notice to the institute mentioning the
instances of such assaults, most of which were perpetrated after the
teacher used to call victims inside his room on the pretext of teaching
them music.The commission has also recommended strict action against the
teacher including booking him under stringent provisions of the Prevention
of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act. Sharda Tripathi
<https://m.timesofindia.com/topic/Sharda-Tripathi>, member of UCRC who
participated in the enquiry, told TOI, “ Based on our investigation, we
have come to the conclusion that the teacher is a morally bankrupt and
mentally unfit individual. Not only was he preying on innocent children
bringing shame to the pious teacher-student relationship, we also found
that he was a wife-beater and used to thrash his wife mercilessly and often
lock her up in the bathroom.”

She added that “there had been similar complaints against the teacher in
2006 and 2007, but no action was taken.” “Parents of the victim students
chose to remove their wards from the institute rather than fight for
justice. In the interest of students and society at large, it is important
that the man should be arrested immediately and thrown behind bars
otherwise he will continue committing such acts.”

When queried about the matter, Anuradha Dalmia, director, NIVH said, “As
soon as we had received a complaint from the student, we constituted an
independent one-man enquiry committee to investigate the matter. This week,
we are serving a chargesheet to the teacher concerned and he will be given
a chance to present his side. A final decision on the matter will be
subsequently taken by the institute.”

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/dehradun/teacher-was-sodomising-visually-impaired-students-in-nivh-reveals-child-commission-report/articleshow/64249025.cms

--
Warm regards