[AI] Audio Screen: An accessible diagram or map explorer

Dinesh Kaushal dineshkaushal at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 15 23:40:25 PDT 2015

Dear All,

Screen readers and other assistive technologies have made a substantial
contribution in the lives of persons with blindness. But we still encounter
barriers while it comes to diagrams. Either someone draws it for us, or we
need to purchase expensive devices to create tactile diagrams.

Another option is audio graphing tool. I once tried it, but though it told
me that a line is going up or down, I could not understand the extent of
slope of a line or curve .

So we thought let's create a tool that would provide audio feedback when
users moves their finger over a line. This could be tactile exploration via
audio.

We started investigating how to create such a solution, and interestingly
enough, we found that Michael Curran from NV Access has already developed an
NVDA add-on known as audio Screen and it works with windows 8 and windows 8
compatible touch screen.

I could not try it out as I do not have windows 8 compatible touch screen,
but I listened to the audio demo and I think it could be a good solution to
many of the challenges related to diagrams.

Give it a try and let's make it known to those who might need it.

http://www.nvaccess.org/audioScreen/index.html

Regards

Dinesh Kaushal