[AI] discrimination by spicejet

Tony Kurian mtonykurian at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 18:43:38 PDT 2015

Dear all,
This is to bring to your notice that spicejet is practicing
discrimination against persons with disability.
At present spicejet requires additional payment of RS 500 per flight
for meet and assist facility. This means that visually challenged
persons cannot fly with the airline without additional charges.
My preliminary reading of the relevant guidelines suggest that this is
in violation of the same. 4.1.7  Once persons with disability or
reduced mobility report at the airport with valid booking and
intention to travel, the airline shall provide assistance to meet
their particular needs and ensure their seamless travel from the
departure terminal of the departing airport upto the aircraft and at
the end of the journey from the aircraft to the arrival terminal exit,
without any additional expenses.
Here is the link to the guideline http://dgca.nic.in/cars/d3m-m1.pdf
I am of the opinion that this should be brought to the notice of the
authorities. What can be done? Did any of you make this additional
payment and notify the airline about the guidelines. Would be great if
all of us can pitch in and do something.
Thanking you,
Warm regards,
Tony