[AI] Toll free eye donation number

Kotian, H P hpkotian at rbi.org.in
Mon Jul 6 22:39:53 PDT 2015

All

A friend of mine lost a close relative. The deceased had expressed her wish to donate her eyes. however, when the day came, no one arround could help the family provide the number.

The doctors were also hopelessly misinformed and tried to convince the family that eye donation could not be done after the age of 50. Even, justdial could not provide any info.
The national eye donation toll free number is 1919

We all need to put our bit across to pass on this valuable info.

I wanted to check on the effectiveness of the system and so I called this numver. After many ring, a lady answered the call. I checked if she could provide the nearest hospital. She was unable to help, however, she gave me her husband's numver which is8108536536
Iagain called up this numver for a long while this number was busy and finally got through. I again posed the same query. He replied that one should call this numver only if someone has passed away and thereafter they will assess if someone could be sent.

I don't think this is a workable system which will cater to this large country. I am not surprised eye donation is very low in the country.

We need to work out some system which will give results.
I am unsure if localised help is done through this numver. Maybe folks can try out in their area.

Harish Kotian

Caution: The Reserve Bank of India never sends mails, SMSs or makes calls asking for personal information such as your bank account details, passwords, etc. It never keeps or offers funds to anyone. Please do not respond in any manner to such offers, however official or attractive they may look.

Notice: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.