[AI] CHENNAI: A 70% blind person rejected for magistrate post despite being selected approach SC

avinash shahi shahi88avinash at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 22:57:52 PDT 2015

He's doing a right thing indeed!
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chennai/A-70-blind-person-rejected-for-magistrate-post-despite-being-selected-approach-SC/articleshow/47951414.cms
CHENNAI: Perhaps emboldened by the success of significant number of
differently-abled people cracking the civil services examination on
Saturday, and the case of Beno, the first 100% visually disabled
person to be absorbed in IFS, a 70% blind person rejected for
magistrate post despite being selected, is now knocking at the Supreme
Court doors.

V Surendra Mohan of Tiruvottriyu, who is an assistant public
prosecutor of the CBI at present, cracked magistrate selection test,
but was denied appointment by the Tamil Nadu Public Service Commission
saying persons with more than 40% visual disability, could not be
considered for magistrate's post. When challenged, Madras high court
on June 5 upheld the rejection saying: "Taking into account the nature
of duties to be performed by a civil judge, government in consultation
with the high court, had proposed to restrict the applicability of the
benefit of reservation only to those whose disability ranges from 40
per cent to 50 per cent."

The 'proposed amendment', does not deprive the benefit of reservation,
but only restricts it to those whose percentage of disability is below
50%,' the high court reasoned.

Questioning the conclusion, SUrendra Mohan filed a special leave
petition in the Suprme Court framing a volley of question of law. He
said the high court had erroneously relied on admittedly a 'proposed
amendment' to deprive him of his right to be appointed as a civil
judge on the basis of his partial blindness as provided under the
Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights
and Full Participation) Act, 1995.

Wondering whether the high court could proceed on the basis of a
"proposed amendment" while ignoring the law as it stood, the SLP says
when there is no other blind candidate available for any of the posts
sanctioned, is it legal or equitable at all for the authorities to
have relied on an internal correspondence between the government and
the high court to ensure that no blind individual was accommodated.

Noting that with 70% blindness, he has been discharging his duties as
an assistant public prosecutor, he said there is no legal basis for
excluding him from the civil judge post. In a series of recruitment
drives over the years, the posts reserved for the blind have gone
abegging, Surendra Mohan said, adding: "This year as well, as a result
of the illegal action of the authorities, no blind candidate has been
recruited, reflecting a complete apathy on their part in discharging
obligations placed on them by the Constitution and the laws."

According to an April 11, 2005 government order, for civil judge posts
PB (partially blind) persons are eligible, the SLP said. A GO dated
August 31, 2012 excludes only those with "complete blindness", and
hence with 70% partial blindness he cannot in any way be excluded from
the recruitment, Surendra Mohan has said.

--
Avinash Shahi