[AI] Nine para-athletes are in the elite group

avinash shahi shahi88avinash at gmail.com
Sat Jul 4 22:50:09 PDT 2015

Tribune News Service
http://www.tribuneindia.com/news/sport/nine-para-athletes-included-in-tops/102584.html
New Delhi, July 4
The Sports Ministry has extended the benefits of Target Olympic Podium
Scheme (TOPS) to India’s elite disabled athletes by providing them
funding to prepare for next year’s Paralympic Games in Rio De Janerio.
The Ministry has offered financial assistance to nine para-athletes —
Amit Kumar Saroha and Karamjyoti (discus throw), Devendra Jhajharia,
Deepa Malik and Narendra Kumar (javelin throw), Sharath Gaikwad
(swimming), HH Girisha and Sharad Kumar (high jump) and Sandeep Maan
(400m race).
These para-athletes have already been sanctioned the desired amount by
the Ministry to fund their training and equipment needs, apart from
the foreign exposure trips.
Surprisingly, the Ministry has neither made any announcement in this
regard nor revealed the names of the para-athletes who have been
included in the TOPS.
“The TOPS funding will help the para-athletes prepare better for the
Rio Games. Ever since the Ministry launched the TOPS, we were also
waiting for our names to be included in the scheme. Now that we are
part of it, the exposure trips will definitely improve our
performance. We will be better equipped this time to present a strong
challenge at the Games,” Saroha said.
India has a poor record at the Paralympic Games, managin

--
Avinash Shahi