[AI] Fwd: India aim better show against top-flight sides

Renuka Warriar erenuka at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 23:45:23 EST 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: rijoy v <rijoy.v at gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:19:55 +0530
Subject: India aim better show against top-flight sides
To: insight4vision at googlegroups.com

Bangalore: , Nov 30, 2012: The Indian cricket team has been consistent
performer internationally but with the SBI T20 World Cup for the
Visually Impaired to begin on Saturday, they are looking to put on a
better show against some of the top teams in the world.

The inaugural edition of the tournament involves nine countries
battling it out till December 13 in Bangalore. Australia, Bangladesh,
England, Pakistan, South Africa, West Indies, Sri Lanka and Nepal are
the eight others teams who will be part of the mega event.

The Indian team, led by Karnataka’s Shekhar Naik, will lock horns with
Australia in the opening match of the tournament on Sunday -- only the
inauguration is scheduled for Saturday — and by the sound of it, they
look prepared for the test.

“We have done very well in the 30-over and 40-over formats in the
past,” said India coach Patrick Rajkumar on Friday. “We were in the
final of the one-day World Cup in 1998 so I don’t see why we would not
be in the reckoning to put on a good show. We have also done
exceedingly well in recent times and given the amount of practice that
has gone into this event, we can be expected to put on a good show.”

The Indian team underwent well-organised training sessions at IIM-B
campus to prepare for the World Cup. “In the 15 days we trained at the
IIM-B, we focused mostly on fitness and fielding. There was also some
concern with the wayward bowling from our B1 (fully visually impaired)
bowlers. All those things have been fixed now. We are confident and
there are no injury concerns as well,” said Rajkumar, who added that
his team had an advantage in that most of the players are
all-rounders.

Talking about the skillset required to the coach the side, Rajkumar
said: “Unlike how one would work on technique and things like that
with normal people, here I solely focus on motivating them. They have
this feeling of being lost often and that’s something I work towards
getting rid of. I tell them stories of successful people and the kind
of hardships that they have had to go through in order to be
successful. I basically give them the self-belief to go out there and
play for the country.”

The squad: Shekhar Naik (Captain, Karnataka), I Ajay Kumar
(vice-captain, Andhra Pradesh), Ganeshbhai Bhusara (Gujarat), Hanuman
Pooniya (Rajasthan), K Ramesh (Tamil Nadu), Maneesh A (Kerala),
Prakasha Jayaramaiah (Karnataka), Dunna Venkatesh (Andhra Pradesh),
Hiteshbhai Patel (Gujarat), Dilip Munde (Maharashtra), Pankaj Bhue
(Odisha), Vikas Patel (Gujarat), Ketanbhai Patel (Gujarat), Sanjeev
Kumar Dalal (Haryana), Ravi S (Karnataka), Md Jaffar Iqbal (Odisha),
Subash Bhoya (Gujarat). Coach: Patrick Rajkumar. Manager: David.
India’s itinerary: vs Australia (December 2), vs England (December 3),
vs Sri Lanka (December 6), vs Pakistan (December 7), vs Bangladesh
(December 9), vs South Africa (December 10).

Source: http://www.deccanherald.com/content/295518/india-aim-better-show-against.html

--
Regards
Rijoy V