[AI] Event Update of The First-Aiders: Helping Yourself & Others workshop & Voice Vision 12th Anniversary celebration!

Sushmeetha sushmeetha at voicevision.in
Wed Apr 18 01:50:12 PDT 2012

Voice Vision in association with the Lifesupporters Institute of health
sciences (LIHS), a recognized International training center of the American
Heart Association, organized a one of its kind workshop on first-aid and
self safety specially designed for the visually impaired on Sunday, April
15, 2012 at H. K. Institute of Management studies, Jogeshwari. This kind of
a workshop has been conducted for the first time in India for the benefit of
the visually impaired.

The aim of this training was to eradicate the common perception of “a
visually impaired cannot be of help to the society by large, as they
themselves require assistance on different fronts especially self-safety.”

“The First-Aiders: Helping Yourself and Others" workshop was staged in the
backdrop of Voice Vision’s 12th anniversary. The event was flagged off with
a warm welcome by the anchors, Mr. Arun Iyer & Ms. Urvi Jangam followed by
the traditional singing of the Sarasvati vandana by Dr. Divya Bijur. This
was followed by a presentation made by one of Voice Vision’s ex-student Ms
Nidhi Goyal, where she highlighted the organizations activities and
achievements of the past year. The presentation was followed by the
declaration of the Voice Vision scholarship 2012 – 2013. Ms. Sushmeetha B.
Bubna founder Director of Voice Vision, Ms. Upasana Saraf a trained clinical
psychologist and Ms. Meenakshi Kilpady the principal of Dr. Radhakrishna
High school constituted the judging panel and were called upon to announce
the winner of the scholarship. The scholarship  award of Rs. 5000/-,
Scholarship certificate and a computer training course at Voice Vision, was
awarded by Mr. and Mrs. Bubna to Mr. Amar Pawar for his exemplary academic
and non-academic performance.

This small presentation by the hosts was followed by breakfast, after which
it was time to begin with the first-aid training. The training was a
day-long workshop with an equal mixture of theoretical explanations and
practical demonstrations. The workshop commenced at 10:45 AM and went on
till 7:00 PM. It gave the visually impaired people an overview of what
should or should not be done in various situations such as epilepsy,
fainting, dehydration, breathing problems, bleeding, choking, fractures,
burns, snake bites, cardiac attacks, etc alongside hands-on experience of
preventing bleeding, applying bandage, splinting, Cardio Pulmonary
Resuscitation (CPR) and allied.

The participants comprising of diverse age groups from different locations
including Mumbai, Nagpur, Pune, Gujarat, etc belonging to various
organizations like MNB home for the blind, NAB India, NAB (DOR), BGFI,
AccessIndia, Voice Vision students and list members were thrilled to be a
part of such a fulfilling & enriching experience.

In order to make this training more effective, the trainers and volunteers
were subjected to a small sensitization workshop conducted by the members of
Voice Vision, a week prior to this event, which helped the trainers and
volunteers to get familiarized with the basic ways and techniques to address
a visually impaired. The Lifesupporters’ team of trainers and volunteers
made special modifications to accommodate practical demonstration where ever
necessary for optimum understanding of the techniques by the visually
impaired. They also focused on giving individual attention to every
participant, thereby making their experience of learning, more value-driven.

To learn more about LIHS visit their website,
http://lifesupporters.in/about_us.html

We extend our heart felt gratitude to LIHS for conducting this very useful
training and highly appreciate the time and the initiative taken by the
doctors in understanding the minute points while addressing an audience
consisting of visually impaired individuals. We also thank the judges for
our Voice Vision Scholarship, Ms. Meenakshi Kilpady & Ms. Upasana Saraf, for
taking out time from their busy schedule and helping in selecting the most
eligible candidate. We also thank the authorities & staff of H.K institute
of management studies for lending us their premise for hosting the event and
for all their help & cooperation. We thank the caterers for the scrumptious
lunch & refreshments. Big thanks to all the volunteers who dedicatedly
worked right from the registration desk, to escorting the participants, to
serving food and to the winding up of the session. It would have been
difficult to manage without their assistance. We also thank the employees of
Ascent Networks pvt ltd. For all their help & support in the preparation of
the event, and a big thanks to the Voice Vision core committee, who have
worked very hard behind the scenes. Last but not least, a big thank you to
all the participants and guests who attended the session and helped make it
a huge success. We look forward to your support in future as well.

We thank you all for the wonderful feedback we have received so far in
appreciation of our efforts. We request all participants to kindly fill up
the feedback form on the link below and let us know your views on the
session and the trainers.
http://voicevision.in/content/feedback-form

Kindly check the media coverage of the event at
1. DNA
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_help-at-hand-for-visually-impaired-of-
mumbai_1676410
2. Indian Express
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/vision-unimpaired/937211/
3. Hindustan Times
http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-news/Mumbai/City-s-vision-impaired-learn
-life-saving-techniques/Article1-841231.aspx

Thanking You
Regards
Sushmeetha B. Bubna
Founder Director

Voice Vision
103 Synthofine Estate 'A',
Off Aarey Road, Goregaon East,
Mumbai 400063
India

Tel: +91 22 40400000 / 28755300
Fax: +91 22 40400123 / 28755303
Mobile: +91 9820566010
Email: sushmeetha at voicevision.in
Website: www.voicevision.in
Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/voicevisionfans
follow us on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/voicevision_in
Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes
life meaningful.