[AI] Attention: Disability study brings out hard facts in Odisha

Mujtaba Merchant mujtabam at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 06:04:39 PDT 2012

Aren't we repeating the facts again and again in different forms? Sorry if this remark is rude. These facts have been bought to public and media in various ways. But the condition of the PWD's social and economic standing remain at Status Quo and all our lives are just a matter of existance and in Dire Straits.

Yes, we have amazing NGO's and support groups all over the country, what after that? Are we accomodated in the society seeminglessly? How are we to support ourselves if we aren't given the opportunity in the first place? If you want to talk about independence their is a lot of gap from what is and what should be, for example, I can't withdraw my own money from the ATM without sighted assistance. The other damn day, at the bank I was ignored when trying to communicate a change in address to the bank. I had to throw a tantrum like a 5 year old to get them to panic and then attend to my querry. And guess what? I haven't received any confirmation from the bank that the address on their records has been updated! Mediocre or stereo type, these MBA's that sit behind a desk at a bank think they rule the world with their attitudes, basically no common sense was granted to them when falling out of the womb of their mother. I pitty a society like this and worst of all a government that is laid back on such issues!

I am venting this because a year back, I was a part of this society. Today I feel alienated to their customs and attitudes. I also respect and understand every disabled persons plight in getting something done in their life. Having to live with a compromising and patient attitude for the things that can be rightfully honored elsewise to a person who waddles his ego and wallet.

My sincere apologies if my email has hurt any sentiments. Kindly forgive the outburst!

Mujtaba Merchant
Bangalore, India