[AI] New draft bill for the disabled in rough waters

Kotian, H P hpkotian at rbi.org.in
Thu Jan 6 00:23:18 EST 2011

Hello All

Members are kept up to date regarding developments on the committee set to crystallise the draft legislation for the disabled by postings in the list by members time to time.

There is presently a crises with many members resigning and more planning to follow suit. This is a matter of deep concern as this is going to result in more delays.

It is imperative we do our bit by putting forth our views clearly

1 There is a move of "Disability Code" which will have multiple laws vs single comprehensive law.
In my opinion, we should insist on single comprehensive law. We are aware of the practical problems in the present regime and the new law should not again carry the dead weight.
2. The law should be comprehensive in substance. Meaning, that even the chapters which are covered should be properly covered.
3 The committee members should necessarily take advantage of technology and listen to the voice and suggestion offered by civil society.
4 The committee chairperson should be suggested to offer a statement regarding the time-table of events regarding the functioning of the committee, target dates for all the draft chapters, regional and national consultation etc.
  Any other suggestions, comments welcome.
Harish Kotian
Moderator
AccessIndia.

Notice: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.