[AI] Office help

Sanjay ilovecold at gmail.com
Tue Sep 28 02:56:50 EDT 2010

Problem with Word lists

Q: I write a lot of documents at work, and generally find Word 2007's bullet

points useful. However, I don't like the way they appear when I don't want

them, and stay in if you do try to get rid of them. If I were to type "1. This

really isn't something that needs to be in a list", Word decides that I'm

starting to type a list, indents the text and offers me a '2' at the start of

the next line. It takes me ages to put the margins and indents back the way I

want them. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason behind it. What are

the rules? And is there an easy way to get rid of numbers and bullets and

paragraph and line indents once Word has decided wrongly that I want a list?

John Fryer

a: We agree that Word can be very irritating when it thinks it knows best - even

more so when it leaves the layout altered when you try to get rid of the bullets

or numbers. If you really don't like the way Word leaps in, you can turn off

the automatic list creation so that it never happens. Click the Office button

(the large round button at the top left of the screen in Word) and then click on

Word Options. Choose Proofing, AutoCorrect Options and click to show the

AutoFormat As You Type tab.

In the area titled 'Apply as you type', untick the options for automatic

bulleted lists and automatic numbered lists.

In fairness to Word, when it first leaps in, you will see a box with a lightning

symbol appear above the number or bullet. If you click on that, you're given

the option of undoing the automatic numbered list and stopping Word from

creating lists automatically.

If you already have a list in a document and want to remove the list formatting,

go to the Paragraph section of the Home tab of the Office Ribbon; you should see

icons for both bulleted and numbered lists. If you click on an icon while your

list is selected, you can choose the type of numbering or bulleting. The

important option is None; click on this and you remove the annoying indents and

formatting at a stroke.

Can I brand my PowerPoint slides?

Q: We're creating some PowerPoint presentations with lots of multimedia elements

and want the set as 'branded' as possible. Is there a way to add our company

logo to the top left of every slide?

Jeff Kilbrook

a: It's easy enough to add your logo - simply use PowerPoint's watermark

facility. Starting with a blank presentation, choose Master from the View menu,

then select Slide Master. From the Insert menu, choose Picture to insert your

logo from a file on disk. The logo will appear on the slide master. Select it,

right-click on it and choose Format Picture.

Logos are best made small and not overwhelming, so make sure you position it so

it won't detract from the message you're wanting to get across on the slides.

Next, you need to make the logo less obtrusive. In the group of picture tools

on the Format tab, you'll find Recolor. Click on it and choose the most

appropriate of the Light Variations.You should select the Brightness option and

set the level of brightness. The idea is to keep your logo visible but not so

bright that it takes over the slide. When you're happy with the logo's

brightness, colour and position, right-click on it, choose Order and choose Send

to Back. Create your slides in the normal way, and the logo hovers in the

background.

Closing Outlook folders by force

Q: I organise my emails into subfolders, stored in folders dated for the

corresponding year. However, the 2009 subfolder insists on being expanded when

I start Outlook, unlike all the others, which stay closed until I click on the

plus sign beside them. How can I force this subfolder to stay closed now that

we're in 2010?

a: What's happening is that you are looking at emails in the 2009 folder during

your Outlook session, as Outlook leaves all folders in the state you left them,

so if they were expanded when you closed Outlook, they'll be expanded when you

re-open it. Likewise, if they are closed, they'll be closed when you restart

Outlook. So just bear this in mind when opening your account.

What does Excel reference error mean?

Q: I have an Excel 2007 spreadsheet that has a list of names on it. Associated

with each name is a set of columns, each with a different activity in it.

Subsequent sheets (one per activity) use references to the first sheet to

replicate the list of names and other information that relates to an activity

specified on the first sheet. The problem I have is that changes to the first

sheet aren't reflected in the subsequent sheets.

If I delete a row on the first sheet (moving the other rows up), why do I get a

reference error on the other sheets? Why doesn't it just remove that

information and move the other lines up? After all, the references are still

valid. Also, if I sort the first page by column of names, why aren't the other

sheets resorted in line with it? Any help would be appreciated.

Andy Shellis

a: The most likely cause for this problem is that, if the spreadsheet is very

large, someone has set it to use manual calculation or has chosen to remove data

tables from the automatic calculation.You can check this by clicking on the

Calculation Options button on the Formulas tab of the Office Ribbon. It should

be set to Automatic so values will be recalculated when you make changes. If it

is set to manual, you can force it to recalculate and hopefully update the

references by clicking Calculate Now for the sheet or the entire workbook; both

options are available in the Calculate Options group of the Formulas tab.

Updating Outlook email addresses

Q: I'm using Outlook 2007 for my emails and contacts management. I try to keep

up to date with where people are living, what their phone numbers are, and their

email addresses - when someone sends me an email with a new email address, I

always delete the old one and replace it with the correct version. What annoys

me is that Outlook continues to suggest the old deleted email address when I

start typing someone's name in the recipient's line of an email. How can I stop

this happening?

Andrew Charles

a: Outlook will attempt to auto-complete the details based on past entries,

which is why old email addresses show up in the list. To remove a name from

your list, highlight it in the list of suggestions and press Delete.

Sending emails from Access

Q: I'm writing some VBA in Access to create emails that will be sent out to

recipients using Outlook. I need both the To line and the CC lines populated.

The following code works fine for the To line:

strSendTo = "Officehelp at computershopper.co.uk"

Set olRecip = olMessage.Recipients.

Add(strSendTo)

But how can I put the next email address into the CC line? In the real code, I

find that I get the email address from the Customer table.

Anthony Roberts

a: You can set the recipient type to be OlTo, OlCC or OlBCC for the To, CC and

BCC options respectively. If you add the following to your code, you should

find it does what you want:

olRecipient.Type = olCC

Counting rows in Access

Q: I'm using Access 2007 to manage our membership records. I have a main order

form with the main customer details, and a subform where the individual classes

and treatments they have signed up to are listed. I want to show on the main

form how many classes and treatments each individual member has activated, as

this alters what they should be offered in terms of discounts when they ring up

to inquire about another class or treatment. I've been trying to write some

code that loops around and counts the rows, but it just isn't working. Is there

a way to do this?

Pete West

a: The easiest way to do this is to use the RecordCount of the subform's

recordset.You can show that in a text box on the main form, and that will give

you the answer you need. Some code along the following lines should do it:

Private Sub Form_Current()

Dim myCtl As Access.Control

Set myCtl = Me.ChildForm

Me.txtHowMany = MyCtl.Form.

Recordset.RecordCount

Set MyCtl = Nothing

End Sub

This assumes your Subform control is called ChildForm, and that your text box on

the main form is called txtHowMany. What the code does is to set up myCtl as an

Access control, and assign it to the subform.

You can then use the Form property of this control to return the recordset of

the subform, and from that we can get the RecordCount value. This is assigned

to the text box on the main form, giving you the result you want. By having the

code assigned to the Form_Current event, the value will be recalculated whenever

the user moves to a new record.

Technical telepathy: 09969636745
Saints are not always saints; sinners are not always sinners.