[AI] independence and mobility

Geetha Shamanna geetha at millernorbert.de
Mon Sep 27 09:48:38 EDT 2010

Hi Jean, Rajesh and all:

I totally agree with Jean that independence does not mean not asking for and
accepting assistance whenever required, particularly in new and unfamiliar
environments. Here in London where the public transport system is excellent,
I still have to resort to asking for assistance to figure out where a
building or a bus stop is located when traveling to an unfamiliar place.

However, there is a difference between permanently depending on an assistant
for travel as against asking for assistance when traveling independently.
Here in England where the government provides support workers who can also
be used as guides, I am constantly asked by prospective employers as to
whether I can travel independently if hired. If I were to tell them that I
would use a guide instead, I am quite certain their attitude toward hiring
me would change perceptibly, although legally speaking, it is not supposed
to. I think the attitude of sighted people toward blind persons using
assistants is the same the world over; the moment they see an assistant,
they assume, whether rightly or wrongly, that the assistant does all the
work and is in control, even if that is not the case.

It is true that when a blind person chooses to travel with an assistant or
otherwise, he has his own reasons and does so for his own convenience and
not to please or displease sighted people. However, how do you explain that
to a hiring manager or to a superior who rejected Mahesh's application? How
do we spread awareness if people are convinced only by what they see and
assume all blind people are similar to the one they briefly encountered on
the street or in their office? While Mahesh's case can be highlighted, his
is certainly not an one-off incident. There must be millions of superiors
around the country who discriminate against a blind person, because they are
convinced that a blind person is not capable of doing things independently.
How do we educate such people without resorting to passing laws?

Geetha