[AI] behaviour of my superior

avinash shahi shahi88avinash at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 12:55:48 EDT 2010


On 9/24/10, accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
<accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in> wrote:
> Send AccessIndia mailing list submissions to
> 	accessindia at accessindia.org.in
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	accessindia-owner at accessindia.org.in
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of AccessIndia digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. Re: behaviour of my superior (Sameer)
>    2. Re: behaviour of my superior (Mann, Madleen)
>    3. Please help me (neelima kumari)
>    4. Re: behaviour of my superior (Viraj Kafle)
>    5. Re: Skype talking (Amalendu Barua)
>    6. Re: behaviour of my superior (Geetha Shamanna)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 20:56:55 +0530
> From: "Sameer" <salatey at gawab.com>
> To: <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
> Message-ID: <002b01cb5bfc$f05e9e10$1d0b10ac at g31>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> 	reply-type=original
>
>
> Dear Mahesh,
>
> While moving about in your office, do you use a cane or require sighted
> assistance? In case you move about independently, you can use it as an
> example to convince your boss. If the boss refuses to be convinced, then the
> route of approaching the NGO's or media can be followed.
>
> But before going down the road of involving NGO's & media, I think you
> should have a one-on-one discussion with your boss & let him know about the
> capabilities of the VI in general & yours in particular with regard to
> travelling. If you have travelled to any place on official trips, you can
> use that incident to press your case.
>
> But you shouldn't move aside just on account of your superior's ignorance.
>
> Regards
> Mr. Sameer Latey
> Mumbai, India
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "rahul cherian" <rahul.cherian at inclusiveplanet.com>
> To: <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 5:10 PM
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>
>
>> Srinivasu,
>>
>> I am not backing him because he is blind. I am backing him because in his
>> email he mentions that "I am the most qualified and most senior person for
>> the job." He therefore deserves to go for the Conference whether he is
>> blind
>> or not.
>>
>> Your argument for supporting Mahesh's boss is that he was not aware of the
>> capabilities of visually impaired people. Does this excuse his act?
>> Absolutely not. Let me put this to you. Assume that an American (where
>> they
>> drive on the right side of the road) comes to India and drives on the
>> right
>> side of the road ending up causing an accident. Can his act be condoned
>> because he was not "aware" that in India we drive on the left side of the
>> road? Absolutely not.
>>
>> Also, did Mahesh's boss take the effort to understand whether a blind
>> person
>> can travel like everyone else before he reached his conclusion?
>>
>> In my mind it is very clear that the fault lies squarely with the boss.
>> You
>> cannot sweep such ignorance under the carpet on the ground that he was not
>> "aware" and no one took the effort to educate him. This will only continue
>> to perpetuate ignorance, unless we take up these issues in the most strong
>> way possible.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Rahul Cherian
>> Inclusive Planet
>>
>>
>>
>> On 24 September 2010 16:24, Srinivasu Chakravarthula <
>> srinivasu at srinivasu.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Rahul and others,
>>> I would have surely supported your view, if Mahesh had explained his
>>> superior that he could travel and participated and he should have told
>>> them, it is inappropriate to back him by just the reason that he is
>>> blind. As per Mahesh's original email, it does not appears to me that
>>> he tried anything to create awareness.
>>>
>>> Whether we like it or not, still there is lots to be done from
>>> awareness prospective. I even think, lot of NGOs needs to be improved
>>> too.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> On 9/24/10, rahul cherian <rahul.cherian at inclusiveplanet.com> wrote:
>>> > I think that a comprehensive approach is needed, both in terms of legal
>>> > strategy as well as media engagement. One without the other will not
>>> > make
>>> > any significant difference. If we as educated, technology using persons
>>> with
>>> > disabilities fail to respond to, and take up such issues change will
>>> happen
>>> > only slowly. We have to make change happen and not wait for it to take
>>> its
>>> > time.
>>> >
>>> > Mahesh, do let me know whether I should get some journalists to get in
>>> touch
>>> > with you.
>>> >
>>> >
>>> >
>>> > On 24 September 2010 15:56, Subramani L <lsubramani.visa at gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> >
>>> >> It is indeed shocking and dismaying to see someone who is technically
>>> >> minded has to speak like this. Ironically, these are the very people
>>> >> who seem to boast about their work on ORCA and other so-called
>>> >> accessibility tools for the disabled persons . One thing they must try
>>> >> developing is a device with a heart and a proper thinking brain:
>>> >> things they obviously do not have. Sometimes I lose my cool on hearing
>>> >> things like these since it makes me wonder what best can be done to
>>> >> put sense into people's head. After all, I can write and people like
>>> >> Subash Vhashisht, Kanchan or Rahul can fight, but putting sense into
>>> >> people's head... Difficult thing indeed. So Mahesh, it's their loss
>>> >> not your's.
>>> >>
>>> >> Subramani
>>> >>
>>> >> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>>> >> disability bill at:
>>> >> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>> >>
>>> >> To unsubscribe send a message to
>>> >> accessindia-request at accessindia.org.inwith the subject unsubscribe.
>>> >>
>>> >> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>>> >> please visit the list home page at
>>> >>
>>> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>>> >>
>>> > Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>>> > disability bill at:
>>> > http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>> >
>>> > To unsubscribe send a message to
>>> > accessindia-request at accessindia.org.inwith
>>> > the subject unsubscribe.
>>> >
>>> > To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>>> please
>>> > visit the list home page at
>>> >
>>> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>>> >
>>>
>>> --
>>> Sent from my mobile device
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>>
>>> Srinivasu Chakravarthula
>>> Mobile: +91 990 081 0881
>>> Website: http://www.srinivasu.org | http://www.learnaccessibility.org
>>> Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/VasuTweets
>>>
>>> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>>> disability bill at:
>>> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe send a message to
>>> accessindia-request at accessindia.org.inwith the subject unsubscribe.
>>>
>>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>>> please visit the list home page at
>>>
>>> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>>>
>> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>> disability bill at:
>> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>> with the subject unsubscribe.
>>
>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>> please visit the list home page at
>>  http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 16:27:25 +0100
> From: "Mann, Madleen" <Madleen.Mann at rnib.org.uk>
> To: "Geetha Shamanna" <geetha at millernorbert.de>,
> 	<accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
> Message-ID:
> 	<A3C7B6DEAA620B4D8A229396978A5849021BA42C at jstmsx02.ads.rnib.org.uk>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
>
> Dear Mahesh,
>
> I would be shocked about this too.
>
> I think it is perfectly normal to be guided by someone. Indeed here in
> England people would probably try to ask for a support worker to fly
> over to the states for a conference with them, just to avoid hassle and
> to get the most out of the conference and the trip.
>
> I think it was fair enough that he asked you for a one to  one
> communication but as you state you are the person who really should be
> going there so please if at all possible don't withdraw your nomination
> but show them how capable you are.
> Maybe it's the opinion some people have but it is by all means not the
> opinion they should have.
> And as for the comments about accidents, they can happen to everyone not
> just to you because you have no sight.
>
> Please update us on this
> Best wishes,
> Madleen Mann
> RNIB Customer Sales and Support/Technology
> 105, Judd Street
> London
> WC1H 9NE
> t: 0207 391 23 08
> E: madleen.mann at rnib.org.uk
> -----Original Message-----
> From: accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in
> [mailto:accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Geetha
> Shamanna
> Sent: 24 September 2010 16:05
> To: accessindia at accessindia.org.in
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>
> Hi Mahesh,
>
> Please do not get me wrong for asking you these questions, but how
> independent are you? Do you travel to work and move around within the
> office
> on your own? Do you use a white cane? Do you travel independently
> outside
> Pune on your own, be it for official or private purposes?
>
> The impression colleagues at work have of us blind people is to a large
> extent dependent on the way we conduct ourselves. If a blind person
> requires
> assistance to move around within the office or to commute to work,
> colleagues will always assume that blind people are dependent. It is not
>
> their fault entirely; that blind person in their office might be the
> only
> blind person they have come across in their whole existence.
>
> Instead of going to the press and publicising this issue, what is
> probably
> required here is for you to have a long and candid talk with your
> superior
> and try and convince him that you are capable of looking after yourself
> during the US trip, and that you will not be excessively dependent on
> the
> colleagues traveling with you. You can also ask him to specifically list
> out
> his reservations; you can then  address them individually. If you have
> traveled alone previously, tell him how you did so and how independently
> you
> dealt with the situation. It won't be easy, but each of us will have to
> fight this battle on our own.
>
> Finally, if he is not sufficiently convinced and does not agree to send
> you
> to the conference, do not give up. Whenever opportunities to travel to
> local
> conferences or other events within Pune or other parts of India arise,
> be
> the first one to apply. He may not be averse to sending you to local
> events;
> so make full use of it and try to be as independent as possible during
> these
> events. You will then notice how your superior's impression of you
> changes.
>
> Geetha
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mahesh Shah" <mss447 at gmail.com>
> To: "accessindia" <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 5:45 AM
> Subject: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>
>
> Dear Friends--
>
> I am writing to this list after a long time. I wish to tell you an
> incident happened in my office , which shocked me.
>
> Every year, a delegation goes from my office, C-DAC, to participate in
> SuperComputing conference in USA. This year I put my self-nomination
> for this. I am the most qualified and most senior person for the job.
>
> But my boss called me for a one-to-one discussion and informed me that
> it will be 'embarrasing' to send a person (VI) like me in . the
> delegation. Because I will require someone's support and will hold
> someone's hand. Also if some accident happens to me because of my
> disability, he and office will be hold responsible for why they sent
> such a person.
>
> I was really shocked and upset with the behaviour. Then I withdrew my
> nomination for participation in the conference.
>
> Friends, I want to show you that how these learned so-called superiors
> fail to understand the VI peoples aspirations and behave in such a
> nonsense way.
>
> Thanks for sharing my concerns.
>
>
>
> Mahesh Shah
> Pune
>
> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
> disability bill at:
> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>
> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
> with
> the subject unsubscribe.
>
> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
> please
> visit the list home page at
>
> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.i
> n
>
>
> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
> disability bill at:
> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>
> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
> with the subject unsubscribe.
>
> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
> please visit the list home page at
>
> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.i
> n
>
>
>  To report this e-mail as Spam, please forward it to:
> spam at mailcontrol.com
>
>
> --
> DISCLAIMER:
>
> NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is
> confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended
> recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the
> content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the
> sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it
> and any attachments from your system.
>
> RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by
> its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it
> cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
> We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
>
> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and
> any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
> those of RNIB.
>
> RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
>
> Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk
>
>
>
> This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Security -
> http://www.websense.com/content/HostedEmailSecurity.aspx
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:12:33 +0530
> From: neelima kumari <neelima.aicb at gmail.com>
> To: accessindia at accessindia.org.in
> Subject: [AI] Please help me
> Message-ID:
> 	<AANLkTimjzx8PXs5wVkgbuuHK=cTe=dA6WS-ViyCy9iu9 at mail.gmail.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
>
> Hello access Indians,
>
> Please help me. My one friend had recently opend her account on gmail.
> but whenever she is going to open it it is not opening. Actually in
> the  afternoon with the help of my teacher I had opend this and I
> checked  some mails also but now when I am going to help her then it
> is not openingcan you tell me why it is happening?
>
> When we open it one dialogbox comes on the screen it says "This page
> is contain both secure and nonsecure questions. What should we do at
> that time?
>
> Please tell me whether it is taking some time or not to open? If yes
> then how much  time it will take?
>
> Looking for your reply.
>
> Please tell me.
>
> Please reply in easy language.
> with regard
>
> Neelima
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 21:21:26 +0530
> From: "Viraj Kafle" <vkafle at gmail.com>
> To: <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
> Message-ID: <C39B1D0A3DC34773AD4B91A17529DA85 at DDWBT1M1>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
> 	reply-type=original
>
> I second this. While it is always desirable that the VI people be as
> independent as possible, dependance itself should not be viewed as if it is
> a sin or a crime. One may depend on someone for mobility. But it by no means
> implies that one cannot do one's work properly or would inevitably fail to
> represent one's institution. I understand that people generally believe in
> the contrary, but that is precisely where the struggle is needed. As for the
> awareness versus intervention debate, I feel that the later is more
> desirable, because the fact that the employee is the most senior and the
> most qualified amply speaks of his qualities and capabilities and is
> sufficient to make people aware of the same. Of course, one has to be
> cautious and strategic in determining the course of action to be taken.
>
> Best.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mann, Madleen" <Madleen.Mann at rnib.org.uk>
> To: "Geetha Shamanna" <geetha at millernorbert.de>;
> <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 8:57 PM
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>
>
>> Dear Mahesh,
>>
>> I would be shocked about this too.
>>
>> I think it is perfectly normal to be guided by someone. Indeed here in
>> England people would probably try to ask for a support worker to fly
>> over to the states for a conference with them, just to avoid hassle and
>> to get the most out of the conference and the trip.
>>
>> I think it was fair enough that he asked you for a one to  one
>> communication but as you state you are the person who really should be
>> going there so please if at all possible don't withdraw your nomination
>> but show them how capable you are.
>> Maybe it's the opinion some people have but it is by all means not the
>> opinion they should have.
>> And as for the comments about accidents, they can happen to everyone not
>> just to you because you have no sight.
>>
>> Please update us on this
>> Best wishes,
>> Madleen Mann
>> RNIB Customer Sales and Support/Technology
>> 105, Judd Street
>> London
>> WC1H 9NE
>> t: 0207 391 23 08
>> E: madleen.mann at rnib.org.uk
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in
>> [mailto:accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Geetha
>> Shamanna
>> Sent: 24 September 2010 16:05
>> To: accessindia at accessindia.org.in
>> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>>
>> Hi Mahesh,
>>
>> Please do not get me wrong for asking you these questions, but how
>> independent are you? Do you travel to work and move around within the
>> office
>> on your own? Do you use a white cane? Do you travel independently
>> outside
>> Pune on your own, be it for official or private purposes?
>>
>> The impression colleagues at work have of us blind people is to a large
>> extent dependent on the way we conduct ourselves. If a blind person
>> requires
>> assistance to move around within the office or to commute to work,
>> colleagues will always assume that blind people are dependent. It is not
>>
>> their fault entirely; that blind person in their office might be the
>> only
>> blind person they have come across in their whole existence.
>>
>> Instead of going to the press and publicising this issue, what is
>> probably
>> required here is for you to have a long and candid talk with your
>> superior
>> and try and convince him that you are capable of looking after yourself
>> during the US trip, and that you will not be excessively dependent on
>> the
>> colleagues traveling with you. You can also ask him to specifically list
>> out
>> his reservations; you can then  address them individually. If you have
>> traveled alone previously, tell him how you did so and how independently
>> you
>> dealt with the situation. It won't be easy, but each of us will have to
>> fight this battle on our own.
>>
>> Finally, if he is not sufficiently convinced and does not agree to send
>> you
>> to the conference, do not give up. Whenever opportunities to travel to
>> local
>> conferences or other events within Pune or other parts of India arise,
>> be
>> the first one to apply. He may not be averse to sending you to local
>> events;
>> so make full use of it and try to be as independent as possible during
>> these
>> events. You will then notice how your superior's impression of you
>> changes.
>>
>> Geetha
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Mahesh Shah" <mss447 at gmail.com>
>> To: "accessindia" <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
>> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 5:45 AM
>> Subject: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>>
>>
>> Dear Friends--
>>
>> I am writing to this list after a long time. I wish to tell you an
>> incident happened in my office , which shocked me.
>>
>> Every year, a delegation goes from my office, C-DAC, to participate in
>> SuperComputing conference in USA. This year I put my self-nomination
>> for this. I am the most qualified and most senior person for the job.
>>
>> But my boss called me for a one-to-one discussion and informed me that
>> it will be 'embarrasing' to send a person (VI) like me in . the
>> delegation. Because I will require someone's support and will hold
>> someone's hand. Also if some accident happens to me because of my
>> disability, he and office will be hold responsible for why they sent
>> such a person.
>>
>> I was really shocked and upset with the behaviour. Then I withdrew my
>> nomination for participation in the conference.
>>
>> Friends, I want to show you that how these learned so-called superiors
>> fail to understand the VI peoples aspirations and behave in such a
>> nonsense way.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing my concerns.
>>
>>
>>
>> Mahesh Shah
>> Pune
>>
>> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>> disability bill at:
>> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>> with
>> the subject unsubscribe.
>>
>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>> please
>> visit the list home page at
>>
>> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.i
>> n
>>
>>
>> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>> disability bill at:
>> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>> with the subject unsubscribe.
>>
>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>> please visit the list home page at
>>
>> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.i
>> n
>>
>>
>> To report this e-mail as Spam, please forward it to:
>> spam at mailcontrol.com
>>
>>
>> --
>> DISCLAIMER:
>>
>> NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is
>> confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended
>> recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the
>> content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the
>> sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it
>> and any attachments from your system.
>>
>> RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by
>> its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it
>> cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
>> We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
>>
>> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and
>> any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
>> those of RNIB.
>>
>> RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
>>
>> Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk
>>
>>
>>
>> This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Security -
>> http://www.websense.com/content/HostedEmailSecurity.aspx
>>
>>
>> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>> disability bill at:
>> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>> with the subject unsubscribe.
>>
>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>> please visit the list home page at
>>  http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 08:56:31 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Amalendu Barua <amal_oct at yahoo.co.in>
> To: accessindia at accessindia.org.in
> Subject: Re: [AI] Skype talking
> Message-ID: <310199.46413.qm at web137301.mail.in.yahoo.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> Hello madam, please open "Skype Talking" in stead of Skype; both the
> programmes will run.
>
> With regards,
>
> Amalendu Barua
> No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 17:15:58 +0100
> From: "Geetha Shamanna" <geetha at millernorbert.de>
> To: <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
> Message-ID: <22F249329CF64FDB983E215FF380701C at sys>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> The situation here in England is very different. The government pays for
> support workers and assisted travel, and the employer does not have to bear
> the support worker's travel costs. But asking for an assistant in India whom
> one can take along to the US at the cost of the employer sounds a little
> far-fetched. And excessive dependence on colleagues is not desirable.
>
> It is true that Mahesh deserves to go since he is the most qualified and the
> most senior person. It is also true that employers should not discriminate
> based on blindness. We can have laws passed against it and have the media
> write all it can in our favour. Still, for attitudes to change, we have to
> be more independent and forthcoming. Building awareness is a difficult and
> long-winded process; we have to do our bit by trying to lead more
> independent lives  as far as possible.
> Geetha
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Viraj Kafle" <vkafle at gmail.com>
> To: <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 4:51 PM
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>
>
> I second this. While it is always desirable that the VI people be as
> independent as possible, dependance itself should not be viewed as if it is
> a sin or a crime. One may depend on someone for mobility. But it by no means
> implies that one cannot do one's work properly or would inevitably fail to
> represent one's institution. I understand that people generally believe in
> the contrary, but that is precisely where the struggle is needed. As for the
> awareness versus intervention debate, I feel that the later is more
> desirable, because the fact that the employee is the most senior and the
> most qualified amply speaks of his qualities and capabilities and is
> sufficient to make people aware of the same. Of course, one has to be
> cautious and strategic in determining the course of action to be taken.
>
> Best.
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Mann, Madleen" <Madleen.Mann at rnib.org.uk>
> To: "Geetha Shamanna" <geetha at millernorbert.de>;
> <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 8:57 PM
> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>
>
>> Dear Mahesh,
>>
>> I would be shocked about this too.
>>
>> I think it is perfectly normal to be guided by someone. Indeed here in
>> England people would probably try to ask for a support worker to fly
>> over to the states for a conference with them, just to avoid hassle and
>> to get the most out of the conference and the trip.
>>
>> I think it was fair enough that he asked you for a one to  one
>> communication but as you state you are the person who really should be
>> going there so please if at all possible don't withdraw your nomination
>> but show them how capable you are.
>> Maybe it's the opinion some people have but it is by all means not the
>> opinion they should have.
>> And as for the comments about accidents, they can happen to everyone not
>> just to you because you have no sight.
>>
>> Please update us on this
>> Best wishes,
>> Madleen Mann
>> RNIB Customer Sales and Support/Technology
>> 105, Judd Street
>> London
>> WC1H 9NE
>> t: 0207 391 23 08
>> E: madleen.mann at rnib.org.uk
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in
>> [mailto:accessindia-bounces at accessindia.org.in] On Behalf Of Geetha
>> Shamanna
>> Sent: 24 September 2010 16:05
>> To: accessindia at accessindia.org.in
>> Subject: Re: [AI] behaviour of my superior
>>
>> Hi Mahesh,
>>
>> Please do not get me wrong for asking you these questions, but how
>> independent are you? Do you travel to work and move around within the
>> office
>> on your own? Do you use a white cane? Do you travel independently
>> outside
>> Pune on your own, be it for official or private purposes?
>>
>> The impression colleagues at work have of us blind people is to a large
>> extent dependent on the way we conduct ourselves. If a blind person
>> requires
>> assistance to move around within the office or to commute to work,
>> colleagues will always assume that blind people are dependent. It is not
>>
>> their fault entirely; that blind person in their office might be the
>> only
>> blind person they have come across in their whole existence.
>>
>> Instead of going to the press and publicising this issue, what is
>> probably
>> required here is for you to have a long and candid talk with your
>> superior
>> and try and convince him that you are capable of looking after yourself
>> during the US trip, and that you will not be excessively dependent on
>> the
>> colleagues traveling with you. You can also ask him to specifically list
>> out
>> his reservations; you can then  address them individually. If you have
>> traveled alone previously, tell him how you did so and how independently
>> you
>> dealt with the situation. It won't be easy, but each of us will have to
>> fight this battle on our own.
>>
>> Finally, if he is not sufficiently convinced and does not agree to send
>> you
>> to the conference, do not give up. Whenever opportunities to travel to
>> local
>> conferences or other events within Pune or other parts of India arise,
>> be
>> the first one to apply. He may not be averse to sending you to local
>> events;
>> so make full use of it and try to be as independent as possible during
>> these
>> events. You will then notice how your superior's impression of you
>> changes.
>>
>> Geetha
>> ----- Original Message -----
>> From: "Mahesh Shah" <mss447 at gmail.com>
>> To: "accessindia" <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
>> Sent: Friday, September 24, 2010 5:45 AM
>> Subject: [AI] behaviour of my superior

dear mahesh,
you are not the only victim of this bad societal attitude.
be confident, don't loose hope
and keep convincing your boss that you are capable of handling yourself.
everybody requires assistant to any unknown place, why only visually chalenged?
if you are talented, then no one could prevent you to scale new hights in life.
not, now. but, later.
so keep working hard, have patience, you will go to your desired
destination one day.
all the best. be happy and enjoy!
>>
regards
avinash

>>
>> Dear Friends--
>>
>> I am writing to this list after a long time. I wish to tell you an
>> incident happened in my office , which shocked me.
>>
>> Every year, a delegation goes from my office, C-DAC, to participate in
>> SuperComputing conference in USA. This year I put my self-nomination
>> for this. I am the most qualified and most senior person for the job.
>>
>> But my boss called me for a one-to-one discussion and informed me that
>> it will be 'embarrasing' to send a person (VI) like me in . the
>> delegation. Because I will require someone's support and will hold
>> someone's hand. Also if some accident happens to me because of my
>> disability, he and office will be hold responsible for why they sent
>> such a person.
>>
>> I was really shocked and upset with the behaviour. Then I withdrew my
>> nomination for participation in the conference.
>>
>> Friends, I want to show you that how these learned so-called superiors
>> fail to understand the VI peoples aspirations and behave in such a
>> nonsense way.
>>
>> Thanks for sharing my concerns.
>>
>>
>>
>> Mahesh Shah
>> Pune
>>
>> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>> disability bill at:
>> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>> with
>> the subject unsubscribe.
>>
>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>> please
>> visit the list home page at
>>
>> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.i
>> n
>>
>>
>> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>> disability bill at:
>> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>> with the subject unsubscribe.
>>
>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>> please visit the list home page at
>>
>> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.i
>> n
>>
>>
>> To report this e-mail as Spam, please forward it to:
>> spam at mailcontrol.com
>>
>>
>> --
>> DISCLAIMER:
>>
>> NOTICE: The information contained in this email and any attachments is
>> confidential and may be privileged.  If you are not the intended
>> recipient you should not use, disclose, distribute or copy any of the
>> content of it or of any attachment; you are requested to notify the
>> sender immediately of your receipt of the email and then to delete it
>> and any attachments from your system.
>>
>> RNIB endeavours to ensure that emails and any attachments generated by
>> its staff are free from viruses or other contaminants.  However, it
>> cannot accept any responsibility for any  such which are transmitted.
>> We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.
>>
>> Please note that the statements and views expressed in this email and
>> any attachments are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
>> those of RNIB.
>>
>> RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227
>>
>> Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk
>>
>>
>>
>> This message has been scanned for viruses by Websense Hosted Security -
>> http://www.websense.com/content/HostedEmailSecurity.aspx
>>
>>
>> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
>> disability bill at:
>> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>>
>> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in
>> with the subject unsubscribe.
>>
>> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes,
>> please visit the list home page at
>>  http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>
>
> Voice your thoughts in the blog to discuss the Rights of persons with
> disability bill at:
> http://www.accessindia.org.in/harish/blog.htm
>
> To unsubscribe send a message to accessindia-request at accessindia.org.in with
> the subject unsubscribe.
>
> To change your subscription to digest mode or make any other changes, please
> visit the list home page at
>   http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> AccessIndia mailing list
> AccessIndia at accessindia.org.in
> http://accessindia.org.in/mailman/listinfo/accessindia_accessindia.org.in
>
>
> End of AccessIndia Digest, Vol 53, Issue 142
> ********************************************
>


-- 
information exists to dissiminate

avinash shahi
persuing masters in political science
JNU delhi
email: shahi88avinash at gmail.com
phone: 98,71,18,49,04.




More information about the AccessIndia mailing list