[AI] behaviour of my superior

Geetha Shamanna geetha at millernorbert.de
Fri Sep 24 11:05:07 EDT 2010

Hi Mahesh,

Please do not get me wrong for asking you these questions, but how
independent are you? Do you travel to work and move around within the office
on your own? Do you use a white cane? Do you travel independently outside
Pune on your own, be it for official or private purposes?

The impression colleagues at work have of us blind people is to a large
extent dependent on the way we conduct ourselves. If a blind person requires
assistance to move around within the office or to commute to work,
colleagues will always assume that blind people are dependent. It is not
their fault entirely; that blind person in their office might be the only
blind person they have come across in their whole existence.

Instead of going to the press and publicising this issue, what is probably
required here is for you to have a long and candid talk with your superior
and try and convince him that you are capable of looking after yourself
during the US trip, and that you will not be excessively dependent on the
colleagues traveling with you. You can also ask him to specifically list out
his reservations; you can then  address them individually. If you have
traveled alone previously, tell him how you did so and how independently you
dealt with the situation. It won't be easy, but each of us will have to
fight this battle on our own.

Finally, if he is not sufficiently convinced and does not agree to send you
to the conference, do not give up. Whenever opportunities to travel to local
conferences or other events within Pune or other parts of India arise, be
the first one to apply. He may not be averse to sending you to local events;
so make full use of it and try to be as independent as possible during these
events. You will then notice how your superior's impression of you changes.

Geetha