[AI] News from The Telegraph

Sruti disAbility Rights Centre sruti.darc at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 23:42:25 EDT 2010

School woes for disabled
kid<http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100914/jsp/bengal/story_12934082.jsp>
*Durgapur, Sept. 13:* The parents of a six-year-old girl who cannot walk
because of a nerve disorder have allegedly been asked by the school where
she studies to either pay five times the fees for 01Cspecial attention and
coaching 01D or withdraw her from the institution. |
Read<http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100914/jsp/bengal/story_12934082.jsp>

Page url:
http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100914/jsp/bengal/story_12934082.jsp

 .
School woes for disabled kid
OUR CORRESPONDENT

*Durgapur, Sept. 13:* The parents of a six-year-old girl who cannot walk
because of a nerve disorder have allegedly been asked by the school where
she studies to either pay five times the fees for “special attention and
coaching” or withdraw her from the institution.

The parents of Sanjibani Das, a KG student, have complained to the
subdivisional officer that the authorities of Apex School in Durgapur have
asked them to pay Rs 1,200 in addition to the Rs 300 fee.

The school authorities have denied the charge, claiming they had merely told
the parents, Sunil and Sulekha Das, that their daughter was inattentive in
class and cried frequently.

Sulekha said that after the couple told the school they could not pay so
much money, the teachers and the headmistress started misbehaving with
Sanjibani. “School staff have even stopped helping her go to the toilet,”
Sulekha alleged.

Subdivisional officer Moumita Das said: “I have spoken to Sanjibani and
found her behaviour quite normal. I have asked the school to take proper
care of her.
[image: Top]<http://www.telegraphindia.com/1100914/jsp/bengal/story_12934082.jsp#top>