[AI] examinations

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 01:40:58 EDT 2010

Hi Prateek and all,

1. I would agree with your suggestions. One point though and apologies if
this has already been covered. Braille or tactile diagrams do need to be
used for rendering certain parts of question papers. Also, a blind candidate
could draw tactile diagrams as answers to questions. Think of geometrical
proofs that one has to show in class 9 CBSE exams.

2. The choice to use a computer, typewriter or whatever should be with the
candidate.

3. What is the scope of these regulations? For instance, are these also
applicable to exams such as the GRE or professional exams such as the MCP
(Microsoft Certified Professional)?

4. If we are talking about the candidate taking the exam on a computer, how
will the security of the answer paper be ensured? I am thinking of a
situation where a candidate gets an unexpected result in an exam and then
the matter goes to court. When the answer paper is displayed, the candidate
can claim that the file has been tampered with. Of course, this would be
possible to do in  the current paper based system too. I am not so much
interested in the technical controls since there are plenty of options but
what about the process of applying these controls?

5. If a candidate is accused of cheeting, where is the burden of proof? Is
it on the candidate or on the accuser? How will this play out when using
assistive devices?

Pranav