[AI] examinations

Sathiyaprakash Ramdoss sathiya.ramdoss at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 12:49:21 EDT 2010

 Hello Mam,

 In addition to the points mentioned by Prateek Sir, I wanted to share
some of the insights that I've garnered from special accomodations
currently offered by  Educational Testing Services (ETS) to take GRE,
TOEFL and other exams for students with disabilities across the world.

First of all, ETS  is running a seperate  committee that scrutinize
the request for accomodation  on individual case by case basis. I am
not matured enough to comment on the  logistical complications
involved in having a seperate committee. However, in my humble
opinion, it would be really helpful for all  individuals with diverse
range of disabilities, if  UPSC and UGC  have a special committee to
evaluate and offer  special accomodations on individual case-by-case
basis.

 There are certain accomodations provided by ets. Some of them were
classified as  standard accomodations i.e., extended test taking time,
extra breaks and some of them were special accomodations i.e., braille
question papers along with braille tactile diagrams,  question papers
with extra large fonts, dark fonts on the light back ground etc . If
your  intellectual, physical and or psychiatric disabilities requires
you to have some special accomodation that we can't imagine, it needs
to be properly documented by physicians.   ETS also seek a document
to know whether you are using/ used  these kinds of accomodation in
the institutions you studied in the past  and if yes, get a letter of
support.  If you could log on to ETS website  "www.ets.org" you can
see documenting/ accomodation requesting procedures.
 In my humble opinion, we  must have a general acomodation
documentation provisions for exam takers with disabilities ( like our
railway concession form)  so that we  don't need to get accomodation
letter for each and every exam that we are appearing. Our accomodation
document must clearly specify whether we are having a disability of
permenant  / progressive nature.
In another e-mail, Vamshi sir has pointed out an example of a person
writing exams with the support of his feet. ETS will take these
requests in to special    accomodation category.
   They do offer both paper/ pencil based test and computer based
test. If you would like to take computer based test and if you feel
like you need some support, ETS will allow  and  you can request a
writer for your exam. if you want, you can also request both readers
and writers. As for as the scribe (e.g., reader and writer) is
concerned, ETS is taking complete responsibility for providing a
trained person for you and they are reasonably good at reading the
graphs and diagrams for you. They also do provide sign language
interpretations.
When I was taking  GRE and TOEFL in 2003, there were no provisions for
using screen reading applications but I am not sure, how it is working
 now. Please feel free to shoot me one e-mail, to get your doubts
clarified. If you feel like,  I can be of any help in finalizing the
draft ( ( e.g., reading, writing, summarizing )  please let me know.
Thanking You.

Your's Sathiyaprakash.