[AI] examinations

prateek aggarwal prateekagarwal99 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 21:49:35 EDT 2010

First of all,
My sincere appreciation and thanks to our dear kanchan mam for taking
this in hand.
Really, the issue of scribe is burning, which touches almost everyone of us.
Thanks a lot, mam, we really needed this from long.
i’m aware  you’ve been working assiduously for the scribes issue, and
I just have no words to thank for what you have done for the visually
impaired community so far.

Coming on the point:

I’ve been following this thread since a few days, and I think almost
all the important things have been already suggested. In fact, some of
the suggestions given were really amazing, which I believe should be
framed in the guidelines.

Following are some of my suggestions, which are based on my personal
experiences:
1.	the rule which states that the scribe should not be from the same
stream looks absolutely inappropriate to me. specially, in technical
and professional courses. God knows the problem I face while
understanding the questions if there are some symbols and diagrams in
it.

2.	I don’t say that all exams should be online for everyone, but at
least, they should be taken on computer either online or offline for
those who wish to take it that way. For instance, if I’m comfortable
doing  it on computer, why can’t I do it?

3. in some exams, i found rules which states that the maximum marks
obtained by the scribe should not be more then 50% for instance.
i strongly discard this:
when the scribe is already one  standard lower then the candidate,
what is the logic behind imposing such Arbitrary rules.

4. I don’t like the idea of having special centres for VI persons, as
this makes the process too intricate  for those who live in far flung
areas of the state.
While we are heading towards inclusion and mainstreaming, the idea of
having specialize centres for exams sound unnecessary to me.

5. the mode of examination should be either on computer or
typewriters, or the normal writing done with the help of scribes.
Here, point to note is that I brought the typewriter in picture, which
I believe can be a good option for those who prefer doing it that way.
I know, that in many cases the person him/her self can not read what
is written by him/her, but then, we see a lot of VI typists and
stenographers around us, who do this so adeptly.

6. whatever mode one has opted for, the question papers should be
provided in accessible format wherever possible,  Like Braille and
large print.
With the techniques available, even the diagrams can be printed in Braille.

7. in the practical exams, a blind/VI candidate should be allowed to
take the required assistive devices, such as talking calculators,
talking computers, colour recognition  devices, etc. the additional
restrictions on not taking these in practical  exams should be
removed.

8. the centre where one or more VI candidate is scheduled to give
exams should be well informed about it, and the copy of
rules/guidelines should be available with such centre.
A number of times, it has been observed that even after the good
rules/guidelines by the examination authorities, the centres behaves
illogically and tent  to impose their own arbitrary rules,  which
leads to a number of problems and complications for the candidate at
the time of exams.
One such instance was seen with a blind candidate recently, who did
not get the extra time in CA exam, even when there were guidelines
issued by the authorities in advance. Unfortunately, he could not
clear the exam due to this.

9. there should be a strict law of giving punishment to those who tent
to create nuisance in terms of imposing their own additional arbitrary
rules or not cooperating with VI candidates.

10. if the scribes are given by the examination authorities, there
should be a provision of giving the candidate a chance to practice
with him/her at least once before the actual exam. it could be even
better if two/three options can be provided to the candidate from
which he/she can choose the most suitable one.

11. I don’t agree  to use Braille in exams, as it has a number of
practical problems including erosion of Braille dots.

12. most importantly, the centre heads and examination authorities
will have to understand that by providing fair chance to VI candidates
 of giving exams, they are not attempting any charity. Perhaps it
can’t be framed in any rules/guidelines, but we need a positive and
cooperative  attitude from the authorities.

Regards,
Prateek agarwal.
 Skype:
Prateek_agarwal32
Wanna see inside me? My blog is the telescope:
http://www.myfriendprateek.blogspot.com
website:
http://www.prateekagarwal.webs.com

the best way to accomplish your softwares/websites development needs.
You tell, I'll build.