[AI] (no subject)

Kotian, H P hpkotian at rbi.org.in
Thu Sep 9 02:19:58 EDT 2010

Dear Rajesh

Well, I beg to differ, just because a paper is written in Braille, it is expected the paper would be evaluated by VI or it is expected the evaluator is expected to learn Braille. Braille is certainly an option and the importance of Braille should not be undermined.

How to deal with Braille paper is an operational issue to be dealt with the authority. Certainly the practical way out is to get it transcribed by a person knowing Braille. Sighted or blind.

I would go further to state we should write in Braille to authorities to ensure the importance of Braille as a medium.

I am unsure if a Braille document can be considered as a legal document although I reckon there should be no bar in it.It should be interesting to know the legal status of Braille.

Audio Recording is good, However, it would make the candidate and the scribe very conscious. Let us  not make a blind person treated like a criminal.If the scribe does not read well it will still not make the things better as no extra marks would be given for the wrong answer. If for any reason the authorities could not arrange for recording or if the recording did not come through will, some hypper intelligent babu would penalise a blind person for it. You never know.

Harish Kotian.