[AI] Examinations

Amit Bhatt misterbhatt at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 06:04:38 EDT 2010

Dear Rajesh bhai, Kanchan and others,

I haven't tried to put my point across on Age limitation of Scribe against
any suggestion or thought but I wanted to raise my own suggestion pertaining
to eligibility criteria of Scribe. Following are some more points to be
suggested from my end.

1. If the Visually Impaired candidate appearing in the exam like Music, the
Writer should be from same stream.
In Jan 2010, one of my friends in Delhi appeared in the  exam conducted by
Kendriya Vidyalay Sangathan for the post of Music teacher for Primary level.
he was provided with the Writer who was studding in 9th standard and having
no knowledge of Music. As a result, the child was not able to understand
what the candidate is dictating him. It has happened since writing of Music
has some special symbols, notations and so on. Secondly, the Candidate had
to taken two exam in the same day and the Scribe was much tired seating and
writing two exams one by another.
By sharing this incidence, I just want to convey that such problems will
always arrive if a Child of 9th Class writes an exam of higher level for the
longer hours. The exam was indeed for the primary level teacher but we all
know that the syllabus of such kind of examinations will not be as simple or
easy as class 5th examination. hence, the Scribe should be only one standard
junior to the standard of the Examinee. No matters whether Exam is being
conducted for the primary, TGT, PGT or UGC level. According to me, my friend
would have got the Scribe of Graduation level since he was already Post
Graduate.
2. Some time the Examination Centre provide us the Writer whose writing
skills are not that good. this is also not acceptable to me. If I am seating
for the exam, I am not suppose to tell him the spelling of each word, or
symbols and other writing manners in the exam. In this way, my entire time
will waste in dictating him the spelling and all. At least the Scribe should
have the genuine knowledge and idea to write an exam. Someone very rightly
said that if the Centre is ready to provide us the Scribe, the Candidate
should be allowed to meet his or her Scribe at least 24 ours before the exam
taking  place. I would say it even before 48 hours. so if the Candidate is
not satisfied at the comfort level with his Scribe, he can request the
Authority to change the Scribe.
I know another lady who was appearing in the NET Exam. The Scribe was
arranged by UGC only and again he was not found up to the mark. The Scribe
had no idea about how to write that paper and his entire concentration was
in talking about Scribe Fee to be given by UGC. he again and again used to
complain about the lesser amount to be given from the Centre. The Examinee
tried to make her Scribe understand to just to focus on writing the Exam but
the Scribe was constantly trying to show his strain and tiredness saying
that the Money is given to me is not sufficient. at the end of the Exam,
when the Candidate asked the Scribe whether any Question is left, he said:
"No madam, nothing is left. You do not be worried." But after the Exam, the
Candidate was shocked to know that her Scribe has left a Question of 40
Marks on Sociology!
What I mean to say that we are talking about the qualification of Scribe, I
am unhappy to observe this pathetic condition of Scribes writing the exams
for the VI people. I am sorry to say but a Visually Impaired Candidate
cannot afford to lose anything just because of silliness of his Scribe. if
this is the case, you never know if I am telling my Writer to Write Delhi,
and he writes Mumbai instead. so, above example also compel us to have
doubts on the loyalty and honesty of the Scribe. I therefore, request you
all to think about all these aspects while drafting the norms.

regards,

Amit Bhatt