[AI] Examinations

Ketan Kothari muktaketan at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 03:01:16 EDT 2010

Dear Kanchan,

At the outset I apologize for not reacting earlier.

I have following to say:

VI students should be allowed the use of assistive devices like abacus,
Taylor frame etc. for arithmetic/mathematic questions as these are mere
tools and not the devices that solve the sums.

The invigilation should be emphasized rather than qualifications of the
scribe.

School children should in no circumstances be compeled to take a junior
scribe, it is extremely harmful to them if they are to search for a scribe
till the last moment and not get a scribe.  We have to remember that
blindness is in no circumstances a punishment.

No bar of percentage etc. be laid down on the scribe.

The problems of science and mathematics being technical subjects also
applies to music as Mukta's experience shows me that musical exams can only
be written by those who are familiar with musical notation.  Our guidelines
should also be expressly applicable to universities/examination bodies
conducting musical exams.

In fact, Kanchan, while laying down the applicability criterion, we must
give a list that is inclusive and has an option of adding more and more
examinations/bodies conducting these examinations.

Shall revert if something more comes to mind.