[AI] Examinations

Prashant Verma pr_verma at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 3 13:06:32 EDT 2010

Dear Kanchan,
Here is another draft that is on the same subject for the University level
exams.

           Exam writing policy for students with disability-

1.	The term examination stands for all examinations conducted by the
University, the Colleges and the Departments. It would include the final
exams, the college conducted half yearly (House exams), the semester exams,
the entrance tests and any other exams officially conducted by the
University, the colleges or the teaching faculty.

2.	The facilities specified in the Document will include the following
categories of students:
a.	Students with visual disabilities
b.	Students with low vision
c.	Students with short term disability due to injury
d.	Students with orthopaedic disability
e.	Students with brain related ailments that demand support systems
f.	Students with any other type of disability accepted for this purpose by
the head of the institution, (to be approved by an officer designated by the
Examination Branch)

3.	All students, in any of the categories mentioned above, may arrange for
their own writers, scribes. In case they are unable to do so, the
superintendent of the examination centre would provide a writer. The
candidate must, however, request for a writer at least 24 hours prior to the
commencement of the examination. A writers' bank must be created for the
purpose for a ready availability of writers whenever required. The candidate
must be given an opportunity to satisfy himself/ herself about the writer's
ability to take dictation from the candidate. There should be, at least, a
minimum comfort level between the candidate and the writer and the
invigilator.

4.	One hour extra time over and above the prescribed time for a paper of
three hours duration and where the period is less than 3hrs., then extra
time allowed will be 1 / 3rd of the total duration of examination, be given
to write answer scripts, without obtaining prior approval of the University.

5.	There should be no clause regarding the academic qualification of the
scribe except a minimum level of education. As each candidate is required to
be assigned a separate invigilator and a separate room, it is the
responsibility of the invigilator to ensure a fair conduct of the
examination. (UPSC guidelines may be used) (Suggestion from Vikas Gupta:
students of humanities should preferably be provided with scribes of
humanities background and those of science and commerce and different
languages with scribes of respective backgrounds. He also feels that levels
of minimum education could be different for different courses).

6.	It should not be mandatory for a candidate to mention his/ her disability
on the cover page of the answer script.

7.	The writer must be paid at the end of each examination by the
superintendent of the concerned Centre whether the writer has been arranged
by the candidate or by the superintendent. Each Centre must receive the
required remuneration in advance from the University.

8.	The remuneration to be paid to the writers must be enhanced from Rs.
100/- to Rs. 300/- in accordance with revisions in the entire examination
system.

9.	An extremely cumbersome requirement of a certificate from the University
Health Centre, in the case of persons with short term disability, should be
replaced with a simplified and convenient approach. A certificate from an
MBBS doctor and endorsed by the Head of the Institution should be acceptable
for a candidate to seek a writer for writing an exam.

10.	In case of a candidate, whose disability may not be a hindrance in his/
her ability to write the exam himself/ herself, but could cause a
significant slow down in writing speed, the provision of extra time should
be allowed even if the service of a writer is not required. (Vikas feels
that a separate room should also be provided)

11.	If the candidates so desire, they must be allowed to write their exam
through computers with the help of relevant and friendly software chosen by
them. Such students may write their exam at the college, if the college is
equipped with the software or at a centre approved by the Examination
Branch.

12.	There should be clearly stated directions for invigilators who would
supervise over the candidates. The directives should be sent to the
superintendents with other printed instructions in advance.

13.	Institutions used as centers for the entrance test/ exams etc. should be
the campus centers or the CIE run schools where monitoring may be possible.

14.	Examination Branch should designate an officer, who is fully sensitized
to assist, inform, conduct, supervise and attend to all work regarding
candidates in this category for easy and prompt disposal of all enquiries
and grievances. Such officer should work in consultation with the Equal
Opportunity Cell and the Coordinators of the Equal Opportunity Cell in
different colleges and departments in a reciprocal way of exchange of
information and use of expertise.

The following are some new points not included in the Draft:

1.	Blind students can write their answers on computers. The facility can be
extended to include laptops.
2.	There are Declaration forms to be filled by both the scribe and the
candidate.
3.	The scribe has to submit the following certificates:
      Certified copy of Identification proof
      Attested copies of Educational Qualifications
4.	The candidate may be permitted to draw the diagrams etc. themselves, if
desired by them.
5.	The Centre Superintendent shall make the sitting arrangements for the
dyslexic, blind, physically handicapped and spastic candidates on the ground
floor, as far as possible.
6.	Alternate type questions may be provided in lieu of questions having
visual inputs for the blind candidates in English Communicative, social
Sciences, History, Geography and Economics etc.
7.	Separate question papers in enlarged print for Maths and Science &
Technology may be provided for candidates having visual impairment.
8.	The Centre Superintendent(s) are directed to send the answer books of
special category students in separate covers to the Examination Branch.