[AI] Examinations

Kartik Sawhney sawhney.kartik at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 09:21:11 EDT 2010

Hi,

I am currently in class X, and am aiming at IIT-JEE and other
engineering examinations. What I expect of the examining authorities
is:

1. As already mentioned, a scribe who knows about Sciences/any other
subjects for that matter, so that he can explain the questions
properly to the candidate. Put it across in a different way, in
technical subjects like Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics which are
full of symbols and other pictorial stuff, the scribe should be such
who can easily explain the question properly to the candidate.
Invigilation can ensure that no malpractice/unfair means on the part
of the candidate is taking place.
2. As far as possible, visually impaired students should be exempted
from questions involving figure inputs. For instance, in my case,
subjects like Physics and Chemistry have complecated diagrams or
structures, that cannot be explained to the visually challenged
students that easily. Even if they are explained, the candidate have
absolutely no prior exposure to such questions, making it extremely
difficult for us to answer it. Therefore, reasonable accomodations in
terms of exemption from pictorial inputs to the extent possible should
be provided.
3. Suitable extra time should be provided. Although most of the
examinations have this rule in place, however many of the
professional/technical entrace examinations like IIT-JEE, AIEEE,
BITS-to name a few, do not have any such rules.
4. Use of technology in taking the examination should be promoted. For
instance, the question papers can be provided on the computers
(wherever possible), so that the visually challenged candidate can
easily and indipendently answer the questions.

I hope that you will consider these inputs seriously, so that the
talents and capabilities of all blind students are evaluated on an
equal basis with other students.

Regards,
-Kartik