[AI] Anand lends monetary support to visually impaired players - Chess

Raghavendra .G raghavendra.helloreddy at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 05:32:02 EDT 2010

NEW DELHI: In a kind gesture, Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand is giving
financial support to Indian team in their preparation for the World
Blind Chess Championship to be held in Belgrade, Serbia from August 26
to September 4.

All India Chess Federation for the Blind General Secretary Charudatta
Jadhav said Anand has been taking keen interest for the development of
visually impaired chess players in the country and this was the first
time he has lent financial and psychological support to them.

"I don't want to disclose how much amount he has given to us for the
preparation of the players for the World Championships but he has been
taking keen interest for their welfare for some time. It is a kind
gesture from him," Jadhav said.

"Anand has also pledged more support in future. He is particularly
keen on introducing technology among the visually impaired chess
players. He felt the players are lacking in the preparations," he
said.

The Indian team comprises of 16-year-old Darpan Inani from Gujarat,
national blind champion Srikrishna Udupa from Karnataka, winner of
gold medal in 13th Chess Olympiad for the Blind 2008 Ashwin Makwana
from Gujrat and Rajesh Oza from Maharashtra.

All four players had qualified for the world event after securing top
four places at National A Chess Championship for the Blind held in
Mumbai in April.

Anand who has followed the exploits of our players has come forward
with both monetary and technical help. He has personally helped Darpan
and the General Secretary of the Federation, Charudatta Jadhav.

"I am very proud to see these players go for the World Championships.
It has been a very difficult task for them to get ready for the event.
I have seen the kind of dedication and also in training for the event
and I hope people will come forward to offer support and sponsorship
for the talented visually impaired players," Anand said in an AICFB
release.

"We have a strong team this time and we are expecting good results,"
said Jadhav who is accompanying the team.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Raghavendra g,