[AI] seeking help to revive my website

prateek aggarwal prateekagarwal99 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 22:01:40 EDT 2010

hello folks,
I’ve been receiving a lot of ee-mails since a few days that you guys
are not able to access my site at
www.prateekagarwal.webs.com

I know this site has proved beneficial to you in some ways and I can
say this with massive response I’ve got from your end.
Thanks for making this website a grand success.

Unfortunately, the site is not accessible from India from a few days.

Since a lot of people on this list have to do something with this, I
thought to write it publicly to let everyone know what’s the problem,
and also to seek your help to revive.

A number of users have reported issues accessing my  site from India
due to ISPs blocking access to Webs.

The problem is not that my  site is down!

The problem is that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) has been
ordered by the Indian government, to block one of the  IP addresses
of webs.com - that is, to block
ALL their  member sites that use the address:

http://membersite.webs.com

THIS is why you cannot see this  site, but people in other countries can!
We are told that the department responsible for the block is:
DIT (Department of Information Technology).
What we could found out, Please contact DIT. They must be the ones to
lift the block.

A member of Webs  and my good friend has helped a great deal in
contacting government authorities and finding out what was happening.
Our phone calls and emails have gone unanswered, so I believe we all
owe sarkarsweet a great big "thank you!" for his diligence.

Accordingly, I have looked through the DIT website (
http://www.mit.gov.in/)
and found the following useful info:

Dr. Gulshan Rai, Director General, (e-mail:
grai at mit.gov.in)

I-CERT (Indian Computer Emergency Response Team ) and GC(Cyber Laws
Group Formulation & Enforcement Division), Department of Information
Technology,
Electronics Niketan, 6, CGO Complex,
Lodhi Road, New Delhi – 110003
Telephone: +91-11-24368544
Fax: +91-11-24366806

Website Related: Webmaster Department of Information Technology &
Web Information Manager, DIT-Website
Ministry of Communications & Information Technology (Govt. of India)
Electronics Niketan, 6, CGO Complex,
Lodhi Road, New Delhi 110003
Tele: 011-24301851/862
Fax: 011-24364739
Email:
webmaster at mit.gov.in

now, We need YOU to help us, by writing to this organization and
requesting the block be lifted so you can access this  site.

The webs.com
Customer support team is assiduously trying to reach the DIT and
resolve the issue, but it could not be done as of now.
Could you please try from your end to tell the government that
webs.com is not a spammer and they should not block their IP address?

Here is a letter that has been written by the director of customer support,
Webs.com
ToDIT:

---
I am the Director of Customer Support for Webs.com, an international
hosting provider for individuals, groups and organizations that are
interested in
building a website. We recently became aware of a large number of our
customers in India that are not able to access their sites that are in
a specific
format (
http://xxxxxxxx.webs.com).

Our research in speaking with both our customers and Internet Service
Providers in India originally led us to believe that the Telecom
Regulatory Authority
of India (TRAI) has blocked IP address 216.52.115.50 (Webs.com),
rendering all of our customer's sites in the above format
inaccessible. We have since
learned from one of our customers that the Department of Information
Technology (DIT) is the entity that initiated the blockage.

We have been advised by a customer of one of India’s ISPs (through
information obtained from the ISP) that the offending site that caused
your office to
place a global block on all of our webs.com addresses is
http://donotdial100.webs.com.
I would like to confirm with you that Webs.com has frozen this site as
of 08/11/2010. We have a very strict Terms of Service policy that
states we freeze
sites for any abuse or neglect for our Terms of Service. This is the
reason we froze the aforementioned site. If this was the only
offending site that
caused your blockage in India, we have confirmed that it has been
frozen. If there are additional offending sites, I ask that you
forward those site addresses
as soon as possible so that we can take the necessary action on those as well.

It is my hope and expectation that as a result of receiving this
confirmation, you will unblock all of our other users who are
legitimate, allowing them
to restore their normal course of business. Unfortunately it has been
almost two weeks since this blockage occurred. We continue to have
many unhappy customers
in India who cannot access their legitimate sites as a result, and
many unhappy Internet Service Providers who cannot do anything to help
them. You can
get a sense for the frustration of our customers there by going to our
community topic at this location:
http://support.webs.com/webs/topics/i....

I very much appreciate your willingness to work with us now and in the
future. It is our hope that you will be able to assist us in some way
to resolve
this unfortunate experience and allow our customer's sites to be
accessible again. If you have any questions or concerns, please do not
hesitate to contact
me directly.

---

Update: 23 August 2010

We have finally tracked this down to TRAI - the Telecom regulatory
facility in India - having placed a block on Webs. We are working to
contact them to
identify the reason for the block, so we can get the block lifted.

You might try emailing them as well:
ap at trai.gov.in

we are also thinking  to file an RTI application against this blockage.

Perhaps, you guys too can help in that.
I encourage all of you to fill one of these out as soon as possible so
they cannot ignore the problem and the severity. Here is the URL for
your convenience:

http://www.rtiindia.org

We continue to work diligently toward a solution and will keep you
updated if and when
we make any progress.

Please take some moments from your busy schedule and do the needful to
revive the site.
The help from your end in this regard will be greatly appreciated.
Please mail me your questions/comments/findings related to this at
Prateekagarwal99 at gmail.com

Regards,
Prateek agarwal.
 Skype:
Prateek_agarwal32
Wanna see inside me? My blog is the telescope:
http://www.myfriendprateek.blogspot.com
website:
http://www.prateekagarwal.webs.com

the best way to accomplish your softwares/websites development needs.
You tell, I'll build.