[AI] Impact Study of microfinance on a visually impaired customer & her blind husband

prateek aggarwal prateekagarwal99 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 21:49:14 EDT 2010

Hey folks,
Following is an interesting and inspiring story that shows how little
steps may bring big changes to our lives.
It’s an Impact Study of microfinance on a visually impaired customer &
her blind husband.

I found it something different then regular stories or news items we
often come across to.

---
Impact Study of microfinance on a visually impaired customer & her blind husband

---taken from
http://indiamicrofinance.com/study-visually-impaired-21.html

Few years ago, Devi Sharan, a resident of Chandpur- Nayagaon in
Bulandshahr district of Western Uttar Pradesh was forced out of
business
 due to irregular weaving orders of chairs and cots, a task which he
had mastered in the last several years. Together with his wife Krishna
Devi, they were
barely able to meet family requirements through a petty shop serving
around 20 households due to locational disadvantage and occasional
support of the
weaving orders received periodically.

Krishna was unable to work, as she had a new born baby to look after
and this made their life more miserable coupled with their physical
disability. Due
to congenital defects, thirty two years old Devi Sharan is unable to
see from left eye and can see blurred images from his right eye upto
one feet distance
only. Twenty seven years old, Krishna is also visually impaired with
one eye and she could see with right eye only.

visually impaired microfinance

Krishna Devi & Devi Sharan at their shop

According to one of their neighbour Gyanwati Devi, “Generally, we have
seen such physically disable people begging on the streets, and they
make easy money
by making wretched faces. But Devi & Krishna took a bold step to open
a petty shop from his house without assistance from his family. Devi
Sharan has two
elders brothers- Surender & Sukhbeer. Surender is a daily wage
labourer and Sukhbeer is a mason worker. All three brothers are
staying in the same compound
but have different kitchens and have one room each for their family. ”

The inadequate working capital led them to purchase goods every
morning resulting in lesser return on investment. They had to walk
long distances for fetching
goods daily and it was tedious task bringing goods and moving on the
road was risky as well for them.

About two years ago, when they were passing through a difficult period
of life, they came to know that few women from her street has taken a
loan from Ujjivan,
a leading urban
microfinance
 company in India, working for betterment of urban poors. This
prompted Krishna and Devi Sharan to join a group alongwith their
neighbours in the vicinity
for a loan of Rs 8,000 from Ujjivan,

Devi Sharan used this loan for expanding their petty shop
business
 which is a major source of earning from them. After taking this loan,
they were able to buy in bulk and enhance their product ranges and
hence customers
from neighbourhood also started pouring in resulting to coverage of
around 100 households currently.

According to Devi Sharan, “Earlier, I used to bring goods from the
market daily, which has now converted into fortnightly, which means
enhanced earning
on wholesale rate and reduced stress of daily purchase. We were able
to meet our working capital requirement for this business.”

On asking the benefit of the loan from Ujjivan, the couple replied,
“Loan from Ujjivan has helped us a lot. We were able to expand our
business and hence
the earning as well. Earlier, we used to sell goods worth Rs 250/- and
save 10% of this amount. Now it has gone up by three times and hence
the earning
has also multiplied.”

“Devi Sharan was born in this house only and he got married to Krishna
with the help of his brothers and a neighbour in the village about
four years ago.
Krishna is a resident of a small village in Varanasi district of
eastern Uttar Pradesh. Mother tongue of Krishna is Bhojpuri and hence
sometimes we fail
to understand. But when it comes to repayment and attending the centre
meetings, she is always on time without fail,” said Laxmi Devi another
Ujjivan’s
customer, who is also member in her group.

“After first cycle loan, Krishna took a top-up and thereafter she
could have taken a loan of Rs 12,000/- but she and her husband refused
for this and instead
opted for a second loan of Rs 10,000/- only, citing their capacity to
repay the loan,” added Laxmi Devi.

Devi Sharan is a very dutiful husband who is doing his best to make a
happy family. Recently Krishna was suffering from Typhoid and Devi
Sharan had to shell
out about Rs 4500 for her treatment. Due to this, she has become very
weak and skinny also. But despite this, like every year, they go to
her native village
in the Varanasi district to see Krishna’s parents. This year also,
Krishna is determined to visit her parents’ house on the occasion of
Raksha Bandhan
(a festival of north India, in which sister ties holy strings on
brother’s hand and brother promises to do his bit for his sisters well
beings).

They complement each other at work, if husband fails to serve
customers properly then wife helps and very often customers are also
considerate and cooperate
them as per requirement. Now they often go to the market together and
come back by rickshaw with goods for their shop. During emergency,
they buy from
Bhood Chauraha else they go to Bhura market for the same.

Though you may ponder that Devi can be fooled by giving him a fake
note, but this is simply not possible. Perhaps he has developed very
good understanding
of currency note and hence he identifies them all by touching and
blurred images of right eye.

Even though, Devi Sharan and Krishna are illiterate but have become
astute business persons as they display only those goods which are in
demand. They keep
the rest in the safe place away from others sight. According to them,
this is necessary to avoid people asking for credit. Though they
credit but to only
those who keep promises to payback on time.

microloans visually impaired

Krishna Devi & Devi Sharan with their daughter in front of their house

Intervention of
microfinance
 has helped a large number of needy people, Krishna Devi and Devi
Sharan has also been benefitted immensely through this and they are
very proud of this
achievement. After lots of struggle, they have been able to earn and
make a decent and respectable lifestyle for them, which is hard to
imagine in case
of such physical disability. They are now determined to make their
daughter self-sufficient and lead a better life, no matter how hard
they have to work
for this.
---

Regards,
Prateek agarwal.
 Skype:
Prateek_agarwal32
Wanna see inside me? My blog is the telescope:
http://www.myfriendprateek.blogspot.com
website:
http://www.prateekagarwal.webs.com

the best way to accomplish your softwares/websites development needs.
You tell, I’ll build.