[AI] RTE wins, 874 children get school entry

pradeep banakar pradeepsocialwork at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 04:15:31 EDT 2010

http://propoor.org/news/?n=42259

Aggarwal added that denying entry to physically challenged students on
any reason was the contempt of a ruling by former Chief Delhi High
Court Justice A P Shah dated September 16, 2009, which stated: “It is
made clear that no disabled child shall be refused admission in any of
the schools either run by the state government or the local bodies
(like MCD, NDMC and Delhi Cantonment Board)”.

The court found favour with his arguments and handed over a list of
the students to the Deputy Director of Education, directing him to
admit them.

The main petitioner in the case was 12-year-old Heena Khan, who was
denied admission to Class VII at the Government Girls’ Senior
Secondary School, Jahangirpuri, without being given any reason.

Present in the court, Heena was ecstatic to learn that she could
attend school from Friday. “I am elated. English is my favourite
subject and I am looking forward to learn the language really well,”
she told Newsline . Lallan Khan, her father, expressed happiness that
she could finally study at a recognised school.