[AI] Dr Kanchan Gaba, Head, NAB, National Association For Blind, Kolkata - A source of inspiration

Himanshu Sahu sahu.himanshu2010 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 02:51:53 EDT 2010

Dear Prateek Jee and entire Access Indian Members, please read the
whole content of this mail.

A hundred times salute to such a great successful lady.
But, may I have the courage to reveal the other side of picture?
Pasting the exact letter which I had written few days back to the NAB
Headoffice in Mumbai after discussing particular issue with Honourable
All India Secretary General, National Association for the Blind.

To: Honourable All India Secretary General 				Date: 19/05/2010
National Association for the Blind
Worli, Mumbai

Subject: Regarding misconduct made by Honourable Secretary General NAB Kolkata

Dear Sir,
The purpose of writing this letter to you is not merely seeking
justice or demanding any facility, in fact it’s an endeavor to
reinstate attention of NAB towards the basic objectives and aims of
Non Governmental Organisations.
I am Himanshu Sahu, 28, 100% VI, lost my eyesight in year 2003 and now
working in Allahabad Bank Kolkata as the Confidential Secretary of
Field General Manager and Deputy General Manager. Earlier, after
completion of Higher Secondary in year 2000 I had dropped my studies
and had started doing business.
As I have mentioned above that I am a late blind and after going
through rehabilitation process of around two years, with the help of
several NGOs and individuals, last year got employment. Now I have
restarted studies and expected to appear in first year’s exams of
Bachelor Degree Programme of IGNOU in coming June.
For this very purpose, conventionally I require a scribe and to
arrange it, I contacted NAB Kolkata office and along with this
requested to the individuals and other NGOs, working for the welfare
of Blind people. When I contacted NAB through telephone, the gentleman
who received the call replied that I should contact Honourable
Secretary General, Ms. Kanchan GABA, as only she can solve my purpose.
Further, I called on the cell number of honourable madam and when
informed about the issue,"come to the NAB office and give an
application”, she replied harshly and disconnected the call.
After two-three days when I called her again to ask about her
availability in the office, so that I can submit the application and
request her to help me. This time she stopped me from coming to office
and asked the details about exam and my requirements. Further she
assured me that she would look after the matter and asked me to call
after three-four days. Hitherto, I have called her more than fifteen
times, but each and every time honourable madam disconnects the call
just after asking my identity.
Sir, neither I had any intention nor interest to approach honourable
madam personally; indeed I was trying to approach Secretary General of
NAB Kolkata. As in individual the disgusting behaviour of respected
madam clearly suggest me her approach towards the responsibilities
assigned and expected to deliver from NAB and blind community.
It reveals that the wonderful successes and fame, which respected
madam has bagged during her career journey has made her big headed and
taken her away from actual purpose and grass root level where still
lots of issues and intricacies are awaiting to be solved.
“I have been very competitive since childhood,”, “Law is a prestigious
profession, and it also lets me help people who need assistance.”, “If
you want to be a lawyer, you have to be a good talker,” she advises.
“It is your mode of talking which influences your client. You have to
be very communicative”, “We would like society to stand with us to
serve the downtrodden,” signs off GABA.
These are some of the expressions of so called vision of respected
madam, to the media and other agencies like IWay. Is it parallel to
the manner in which she treated me? Is she really assisting blind
people? Does she truly stands with other blind people who can’t walk
on ramp? I don’t think so, sir.
I might sound cynical in my writing, but would like to assure you that
I am completely optimistic person and possess humanitarian and
supportive approach towards whole community.
In the present scenario, where VI employees are craving and
complaining for not getting work in banking sector, I am performing
the job of “Confidential Secretary” of FGM and DGM within only one
month of my joining in the bank. I too deal with a number of business
tycoons of Kolkata, complain of several customers and even instruct
branch managers on behalf of Zonal Head. Employees from our other
offices especially come to meet me and witness that how can a blind
perform such a job?
DGM, the person who himself was the Chairman of the selection
committee and had no idea about how VIs work, now acknowledges our
capability and efficiency. But these praises and acknowledgements have
not taken me away from my responsibilities and still I consider myself
as a blind person and forward hand to them who require my assistance.
However, arrangement for the writer has been already made through my
personal contacts, even than I am informing     about the incident
because The behaviour of respected madam has deeply disheartened me
and it is absolutely unexpected from the person who is well aware of
our pain and agony and herself has gone through the similar adverse
situations in her life. Therefore I request you to kindly ensure that
repetition  of such incidents don’t take place at least from
individuals holding prominent position in NAB which is known for it’s
philanthropic efforts. I expect that somebody would make honourable
madam realize that she is allocated with a duty of facilitator rather
than a dictator. And to serve our community she requires coming out of
the milieu where she is surrounded with celebrities and busying in
organizing dazzling charitable ramp shows.

Your kind response would be highly appreciable.

Yours sincerely
Himanshu Sahu
CS to FGM
Allahabad Bank
Kolkata
Reach: 09051055000
E-mail ID: sahu.himanshu2010 at gmail.com

I request officials of NAB that kindly don't take this mail as a
attempt to defame the organisation.
I explicitly accept and admire the contribution of Nab for the blind community.

Thanks and regards
                   Himanshu Sahu
Reach: 09051055000