[AI] Feedback on subcommittee reports

George Abraham george at eyeway.org
Tue Jul 27 09:58:44 EDT 2010

I second this thought!
----- Original Message -----
From: "Asudani, Rajesh" <rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in>
To: <accessindia at accessindia.org.in>
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2010 6:16 PM
Subject: [AI] Feedback on subcommittee reports

Friends
I would come up with my feedback on remaining seven subcommittee reports on
AI blog in a couple of days, and would send it to relevant authorities also.
Meanwhile, a cursory reading of various reports leads me to think that
drafting committee members are hijacked, so to say, by proponents   of
rights of mentally illness. they do not even talk of mental retardation but
only of mental disease only.

In the first place, it is the basic fallacy to deal with situation of
persons with sensory and physical impairments  on the one hand and those
with mental retardation or illness on the other in same manner, or for that
matter even in the same act.
It is the fallacy which has been systematically promoted legally socially
governmentally and even philosophically.
Practically of course, average attitude of a person's towards disabled is
more or less same as if they are deranged mentally.
So, if now, champions in the disability field have recognized it as valid
and are bent upon giving it legal sanction, then persons with sensory and
physical impairments cannot  hope for any worse days.

Disease should be treated like disease and disability like a disability.
Disability even physical arising out of disease, say, orthopedic disability
arising from Parkinson's disease, is a disability, but Parkinson's disease
is a separate condition and should not be included in disability act, and
only its consequence, in some cases when it happens, can be regarded as
disability.

Mental retardation and illness may warrant treatment and welfare measures at
best, and it should be confined to that.
Equating physically and sensorily impaired persons with mentally challenged
by including them in same act or policies is a clear violation of article
14, legally, and and,  insult socially.
I clarify here that learning disability is another thing and it should be
properly defined and included in act which they have not done.

I would like to hear comments from friends about this and do something to
rescue drafting committee from such domination.

Regards

"If you believe that there is a God, a God that made your
body, and yet you think that you can do anything with
that body that's dirty, then the fault lies with the manufacturer."

                                             --Lenny Bruce

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,
Reserve Bank of India
Nagpur
09420397185
O: 0712 2806676
Res: 0712 2591349

review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in
this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you
have received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or
telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any
attachments. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for
the presence of viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for
disability bill at: