[AI] Feedback on subcommittee reports

Asudani, Rajesh rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Tue Jul 27 08:46:51 EDT 2010

Friends
I would come up with my feedback on remaining seven subcommittee reports on AI blog in a couple of days, and would send it to relevant authorities also.
Meanwhile, a cursory reading of various reports leads me to think that drafting committee members are hijacked, so to say, by proponents   of rights of mentally illness. they do not even talk of mental retardation but only of mental disease only.

In the first place, it is the basic fallacy to deal with situation of persons with sensory and physical impairments  on the one hand and those with mental retardation or illness on the other in same manner, or for that  matter even in the same act.
It is the fallacy which has been systematically promoted legally socially governmentally and even philosophically.
Practically of course, average attitude of a person's towards disabled is more or less same as if they are deranged mentally.
So, if now, champions in the disability field have recognized it as valid and are bent upon giving it legal sanction, then persons with sensory and physical impairments cannot  hope for any worse days.

Disease should be treated like disease and disability like a disability.
Disability even physical arising out of disease, say, orthopedic disability arising from Parkinson's disease, is a disability, but Parkinson's disease is a separate condition and should not be included in disability act, and only its consequence, in some cases when it happens, can be regarded as disability.

Mental retardation and illness may warrant treatment and welfare measures at best, and it should be confined to that.
Equating physically and sensorily impaired persons with mentally challenged by including them in same act or policies is a clear violation of article 14, legally, and and,  insult socially.
I clarify here that learning disability is another thing and it should be properly defined and included in act which they have not done.

I would like to hear comments from friends about this and do something to rescue drafting committee from such domination.

Regards

"If you believe that there is a God, a God that made your
body, and yet you think that you can do anything with
that body that's dirty, then the fault lies with the manufacturer."

                                             --Lenny Bruce

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,
Reserve Bank of India
Nagpur
09420397185
O: 0712 2806676
Res: 0712 2591349

Notice: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Reserve Bank of India accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.