[AI] NASA astronaut sends first message in sign language from space station

RENUKA WARRIER erenuka at gmail.com
Sun Jul 25 09:47:38 EDT 2010

The Hindu : Sci-Tech / Science : NASA astronaut sends first message in sign language from space station
S & T
SCIENCE
WASHINGTON, July 24, 2010

ANI
An astronaut during a spacewalk. For the first time, NASA astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson has sent a message in American Sign Language (ASL) from the International
Space Station to the deaf community. File Photo: AP
APAn astronaut during a spacewalk. For the first time, NASA astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson has sent a message in American Sign Language (ASL) from the International
Space Station to the deaf community. File Photo: AP

For the first time, NASA astronaut Tracy Caldwell Dyson has sent a message in American Sign Language (ASL) from the International Space Station to the deaf
community.

In the video, Caldwell Dyson answered several questions about living and working aboard the station and how she became interested in sign language.

"I am truly grateful for this opportunity on behalf of the deaf community and the multitudes of students who will benefit from seeing their language spoken
in space. It is my hope that this video will help inspire our next generation of scientists and explorers," said Caldwell Dyson. As NASA's missions advance
beyond Earth's orbit, the agency will continue its efforts to highlight its diverse workforce. NASA strives to assist the next generation of researchers
to gain access to science-related fields.

Caldwell Dyson will work on several other videos targeted to users of ASL. When the videos are completed, they will be posted on the NASA's website.

astronaut ,
ISS ,
sign language

Comments to :