[AI] FW: Buzz: the latest IndiaTechOnline Newsletter

solomon s teachsolo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 03:11:04 EDT 2010

-- original message --
Subject:	Buzz: the latest IndiaTechOnline Newsletter
From:	feedback tech <feedback at indiatechonline.com>
Date:		22/07/2010 12:19 pm

If you are not able to view this newsletter, pleasure click on this link:http://www.indiatechonline.com/viewNewsletter.php?id=18

                                  ANAND PARTHASARATHY'S TECH BLOG #9                Info-tech is our golden goose. Do not kill IT!
It was  a sorry sight  I saw during the Bharat Bandh  or  national strike called by opposition parties in India earlier this month:  The glass-fronted  India headquarters of an international  Information Technology company in Bangalore, swathed  for all its five floors in   protective green  netting. IT companies had learned the hard way, that they would be the first targets of   stone- throwing mobs— who would be particularly emboldened, if the  state government is a “supporter” of the strike , as it was in this case.
Tech companies in the India’s Silicon City, who together contribute one-third of all IT exports from India, suffered  a  collective loss in productivity of about  10 billion rupees.  Wipro and Infosys estimated their loss on Bandh day at  500 million rupees each.
These numbers, are relevant  to some recent findings:  Last week, technology analysts,  Zinnov Marketing released a report on    the economics for  multinational IT companies, of running India-based R&D centres.   The  cost  is estimated to be Rs 1.82 million ( about US $ 40,000) per person per year—much lower than what the same research would cost in Europe or America. R&D centres in India have helped parent organizations save a cumulative $ 40 billion for the last 3 years.

Global players will continue to  locate their creative teams in India – as long as  it makes sound business sense. But  increasingly, working days lost to strikes; precious productive hours of skilled workforces, sacrificed to poor  local transportation; operating costs  hiked by the need to  create what are  almost parallel  energy systems in the face of unreliable power supply
 all eat away the competitive edge that India has to offer.

To make matters worse,  the political classes in some states  seem hell bent on  adding to the problem rather than solving it – through  ill-conceived interventions,  where none are needed. It is a known fact that Bangalore’s rise as India’s IT capital happened, partly  because the  policy in Karnataka state at  the crucial period,  twenty years ago, encouraged the growth of privately funded institutions of engineering education.  Students from all over India came here – and so many stayed back that it created an enviable talent  pool in the state which the global IT industry ‘exploited’ in the best sense of  the word. The students  studied  engineering  in the English  medium– which is the lingua franca of  the international technology industry.

The Karnataka  Chief Minister has  just announced that those who are pursue medical and engineering courses in Karnataka will have to study an additional subject,  the local language  Kannada, from next year  and take an   exam in this subject. This is the surest way of killing Karnataka’s edge. Most  students in her engineering colleges come from other states, even from abroad. Imposing the study of a language on a student  doing higher studies in professional subjects  serves no useful purpose. It may satisfy a few language fanatics , but it will  push students to  look to  other states for their  studies.   Karnataka will lose in the long run—not the students. The neighbouring state of Kerala  which has enviable  records  in literacy,  quality of life – and Internet connectivity -- is home to some of India’s finest technology parks.  But officially encouraging two  hartals or strikes within a week  for the same cause,  was widely seen as heavy handed and insensitive. Potential IT investors will think twice before committing their money to a state where such strikes are almost a monthly feature.

While  the Indian IT industry grapples with  these issues, the   world  moves on.  We tend to think of China as a hardware leader who is unlikely to challenge our software superiority. That would be a mistake. The Chinese have set themselves a hard-nosed target to overtake  India in IT software and services.  To do this, they    look for the best help – and how ironic that the best is often ‘ made in India’!

That is why India’s best known IT trainer NIIT, is also  arguably the largest trainer in China. Last year their education ministry honoured NIIT as " the most influential IT Training Brand in China". Today, NIIT has nearly 200   training sites across 25 provinces and cities in China and the  NIIT curriculum is an integral part of  academic programmes  across  some 130 universities and colleges in that country. I attended “extra class” on a Saturday morning in the Nanjing Road branch   of  one of NIIT’s centres in Shanghai on my last visit.  Chinese instructors taught C++ in Chinese – and I was told by Prakash Menon,  head of NIIT China, that  their  students  got credits for the course – and exemptions from a paper – in their regular engineering course. Incidentally many of these centres also teach the English language before students take up the technical content.

In India,    NIIT’s identical courses   are not ‘recognised’ --and  students who do a B.E or B.Tech  must study the same subject in a college or university that has been approved by  the University Grants Commission or the All India Council for  Technical Education or whatever.  We know what these approvals are worth after the whose sale de-recognition of dozens of second rate “universities”  last year.

In Hindi they say ‘ghar ki murgi dal barabar’   ( the hen at home,  is  worth just a grain of food) which loosely translated means,   genius is  rarely recognized  at home.  If the Indian IT industry  is not to see  hardnosed competitors like China – as well as Vietnam, Philippines, Taiwan Singapore --   slowly nibble away our so-called advantage, it must    open its collective mouth and tell  those who govern us, the  true story of  what made India, an IT  leader – and how  easy it is to   slip from leader to laggard, through  the destructive interference  of  policy makers.
They should tell their elected  leaders: “If you can’t help us, that’s fine. At least don’t hinder us!”
                IT HAPPENED IN INDIA
Tap into the Web -- without an Internet connection!
Researchers at the Bangalore unit of HP Labs have unveiled a solution that allows users to tap into the huge information resources of Web – without having to establish a connection to the Internet.
http://www.indiatechonline.com/hp-labs-siteonmobile-289.php

EPIC achievement! A made-in-India, for India, web browser
Bangalore-based software start-up Hidden Reflex has launched  the first browser to be sharply aimed at Indian users
http://www.indiatechonline.com/epic-browser-for-india-288.php

Indian Navy choses Wipro and SAP as partners to implement enterprise-wide online financial information system (FIS).
http://www.indiatechonline.com/sap-wipro-solution-for-indiqan-navy-286.php

Aditi’s made for NDTV "News desk" web app., harnesses Microsoft tools, Silverlight, PhotoSynth.
http://www.indiatechonline.com/aditi-microsoft-360-287.php

Kerala arms 60,000 high school teachers with e-tools. e-Vidhya DVD is all Open Source
http://www.indiatechonline.com/e-vidhya-dvd-for-kerala-schools-285.php

Virtual desktop solution:
NComputing, has launched the L300 thin-client access device in India, an enterprise-class platform that complements its USB virtual desktop kit, the U 170 launched just two months ago.
http://www.indiatechonline.com/ncomputing-enterpise--virtual-esktop-283.php
                  IT'S FOR YOU... IT NEWS YOU CAN USE
Put the new rupee symbol on your keyboard! We tell you how
http://www.indiatechonline.com/viewimage.php?id=157
Ibibo launches online bookshop for India: 50,000 titles; free delivery, country-wide; http://www.indiatechonline.com/ibibo--online-bookshop-for-india-155.php
Now a smart Indian solution for Net-based home/office surveillance:An indigenous,  light and portable, home/office  IP surveillance solution has been launched in the Indian market. http://www.indiatechonline.com/smart-guard-micro-nvr-surveillance-system-156.php
As July 31 approaches, income tax woes? e-Lagaan offers free returns tool
http://www.indiatechonline.com/e-lagaan-free--tax-return-tool-153.php
Back up your PC – on your buddy’s PC !
http://www.indiatechonline.com/viewimage.php?id=156
                AVAILABLE IN INDIA: PRODUCT REVIEW
>From Logitech, a cool tool for viewing movies on your laptop – in comfort, in bed
http://www.indiatechonline.com/viewimage.php?id=154
Electronic white board without the board: The Epson EB-450wi Interactive projector
http://www.indiatechonline.com/epson-eb-450wi-review-52.php
Paisa vasool! Viewsonics’s world-first 27-inch full HD monitor for Rs25K
http://www.indiatechonline.com/viewsonic-27-inch-hd-monitor-51.php

                INDIA IT... THE NUMBERS THIS WEEK
Cost of R&D in India for MNCs: Zinnov study pegs it at under $ 40,000 per person, per annum
http://www.indiatechonline.com/zinnov-study-mnc-r&d-in-india-58.php
Indian telecom dilemma: massive user base; miniscule revenue growth
Despite a near 50% subscriber growth, the mobile services revenue grew a meagre 3.6% to Rs. 968.60 billion last year
http://www.indiatechonline.com/voice-and-data-india-telecom-study-284.php
All the numbers from our exclusive industry snapshot:

http://www.indiatechonline.com/snapshot.php

                 EVENT WATCH
Workshop on Cloud Computing Chennai, India August 18-20, IIT Madras,
Organised by Computer Society of India Div IV (Communication), Chennai Chapter and SIG-Distributed Systems
 and IEEE Computer Society, Madras Chapter
http://www.csi-chennai.org/wcc/
All India seminar on Web Technologies: emerging trends and social impact Kochi, Aug 30-31, International Hotel Ernakulam
Institution of Engrs/IEEE/IETE/CSI
http://www.ieindia.info/Itempage.aspx?Event_Id=43
Phone contact: 91-484-2390286
LTE Asia 2010 Hong Kong September  7 – 8, 2010, Kowloon Shangri-La Hotel,
5th annual event for the region focusing specifically on LTE . http://asia.lteconference.com/
World Computer Congress Australia Sep 20-23, Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre,
( with) South East Asia Regional Computer Federation Computer Conference ( SEARCC)
www.wcc2010.com    searcc at wcc2010.com
Mobile Value Added Services World Summit
Singapore, September 29-30 , Swissotel Merchant Court

Developing Strategic Partnership & Best Business Model In Offering Innovative VAS to Optimize Profit and Reduce Churn
http://www.symphonyglobal.com/index.php/event/page/mobile_value_added_services
CAT-iq developers conference,  Eindhoven The Netherlands October 19-20
CAT-iq is the IP Broadband successor of DECT (DECT 6.0). Next to telephony (with HD-Voice) CAT-iq will be used for home automation/connected home, smart grid and in ultra low power use. www.catiqconference.com
4th Annual Connecting Rural Communities Asia 2010 Forum
Jaipur, India November 16-18 Le Meridien
Organized by Commonwealth Telecommunications Organisation (CTO). The theme for the conference is Broadband Access for Rural Communities.
http://www.events.cto.int/CRCAsia2010

 Are you organising an upcoming conference or trade show in the Middle East/Asia/Pac region   that will interest the Indian infotech community? Send us the details in a mail to feedback at indiatechonline.com  with Event Watch  in the subject line and we will be happy to feature it in this section.

               TECHIES TIMEPASS
Fatigued by FIFA? Worn out by Wimbledon? "International Cricket 2010" for X Box and PS3 is here!
http://www.indiatechonline.com/international-cricket-2010-game-review-152.php

                               POSTED 2010-07-22

Buzz comes to you from www.indiatechonline.com Your guide to information technology in India
Please do not reply to this e-mail as it is unmonitored.
However we do value your feedback.
To send us your feedback, email us here feedback at indiatechonline.com