[AI] Google to buy Metaweb to improve 'search'

RENUKA WARRIER erenuka at gmail.com
Sun Jul 18 11:52:22 EDT 2010

    The Hindu : Business / Companies : Google to buy Metaweb to improve 'search'
NEW YORK, July 18, 2010

PTI
SHARE
  ·
PRINT
  ·
T+
Google inc plans to acquire Metaweb, but the company has not disclosed the terms of the deal. File photo
APGoogle inc plans to acquire Metaweb, but the company has not disclosed the terms of the deal. File photo

In a bid to improve its search operation feature, online search giant Google Inc has said that it will buy Metaweb Technologies, an Internet information
database start-up, for an undisclosed amount.

In a blog posted on Google's website, it said, "We have acquired Metaweb, a company that maintains an open database of things in the world. Working together,
we want to improve the search and make the web richer and more meaningful for everyone," it added.

However, the company has not disclosed the terms of the deal.

San Francisco-based Metaweb had a free and open database of 12 million things, such as movies, books, TV shows, locations, celebrities and companies, that
would help Google's users get fast replies to search queries.

"Google and Metaweb plan to maintain Freebase as a free and open database for the world," Google Director (Product Management) Jack Menzel said, adding,
"We plan to contribute to and further develop Freebase, and would be delighted if other web companies use and contribute to the data."

Metaweb, which was founded in 2005, helps site owners, bloggers, and developers make their sites richer and more engaging.

Earlier this month, Google had announced that it would buy ITA Software, a flight information software company, for USD 700 million in cash.

web.thehindu at thehindu.co.in
E RENUKA,
SECTION OFFICER,
ICT CENTRE FOR VISUALLY CHALLENGED,