[AI] Organs of 4-day-old infant donated

Asudani, Rajesh rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Wed Jul 14 01:37:50 EDT 2010

Hindu front page:

Organs of 4-day-old infant donated
Staff Reporter
HYDERABAD: In a rare act of kindness, parents of a four-day-old female infant donated her eyes and heart valves after she died in a city hospital on Monday.
This is perhaps the first time organs from such a young donor were harvested.
Parents Kishore Kumar and Hymavathi, and their relatives maintained that despite a short life, their child has given a new lease of life to others.
"We failed to save our first child. And that's why we thought of helping children whose lives are in danger because of failing organs.
"We can only hope that other parents too follow our example," said the father, an employee of the revenue department in Mahabubnagar district.
A collective decision
Mr. Kumar said the decision to donate organs was a collective one. "My wife is a school teacher and she is very well aware about the difficulties of raising children. We can only draw solace from the fact that we have helped children who are in dire need of organs," he added.
Hymavathi delivered a premature infant at Durgabai Deshmukh Hospital on July 8 and within two days the infant had developed complications, forcing doctors to put the infant on ventilator.
On Monday the infant died. Close relatives took the initiative and contacted Mohan Foundation to enquire about the possibility of donating organs.
"We informed the relatives about the possibility of using heart valves and eyes. We counselled the parents and told them that despite death the infant will continue to live through organ donation," CEO of Mohan Foundation K. Raghuram said.
The infant's eye and heart valves were collected at Innova Hospitals.
"Difficult and rare"
"Obtaining small-sized heart valves from baby donors is very difficult and rare. Commercially available valve tubes are very costly and have to be imported. Such donations will help save lives of children," Mr. Raghuram said.

Regards

"If you believe that there is a God, a God that made your
body, and yet you think that you can do anything with
that body that's dirty, then the fault lies with the manufacturer."

                                             --Lenny Bruce

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,
Reserve Bank of India
Nagpur
09420397185
O: 0712 2806676
Res: 0712 2591349

Notice: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, any dissemination, use, review, distribution, printing or copying of the information contained in this e-mail message and/or attachments to it are strictly prohibited. If you have received this email by error, please notify us by return e-mail or telephone and immediately and permanently delete the message and any attachments. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. The Bank accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.