[AI] Request for guidance on copyright law

Kulkarni, Apoorv apoorvkulkarni at kpmg.com
Fri Jul 9 06:01:16 EDT 2010

Dear AI Members,
I am currently working in the Accounting Advisory Services (AAS) of KPMG. As a part of my job, I am required to refer a number of books which more often than not are not available in soft. Consequently, I have to get them scanned and convert them using an OCR software like finereader. Unfortunately, I am finding the cost of conversion to be exorbitant and want to approach my seniors to seek a solution. In this context, I would like to ascertain if scanning and converting the books in an accessible format for the exclusive use of the visually challenged results in infringement of the copyright law in India. Should the size of the books be relevant, each book is between 1000 to 2000 pages and I plan to convert entire books. It would be especially helpful if the experienced members could also cite any legal provisions, case laws or relevant judgments.

Best Regards,
Apoorv Kulkarni
Apoorv Kulkarni
Senior, Accounting Advisory Services (AAS)
kpmg
Lodha Excelus, Apollo Mills Compound
NM Joshi Marg, Mahalaxmi,

Tel:    Office: +91 (22) 3989 6000
Mobile: +91 (0) 9833423344
Fax: +91 (22) 39836000/ 39835010
Email ID: apoorvkulkarni at kpmg.com

BSR allows reasonable personal use of the e-mail system. Views and opinions expressed in these communications do not necessarily represent those of BSR.

DISCLAIMER
It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized.
If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted
Any opinions or advice contained in this email are subject to the terms and conditions expressed in the governing client engagement letter.