[AI] Teacher with a feel for Earth

Renuka Warriar erenuka at gmail.com
Fri Jul 2 05:25:14 EDT 2010

The Hindu: KERALA
Kozhikode, July 2, 2010
Teacher with a feel for Earth
Staff Reporter  ·   T+

P.T. Mohammed Musthafa, a teacher at the Government Vocational Higher
Secondary School, Meenchanda, has never seen the Earth or soaked up
its splendour. But, this visually challenged man has guided thousands
of students through the planet's geographical contours with his
specially moulded Braille-globe and atlas. For the past seven years,
Mr. Musthafa has been depending on these aides to teach students.

Students' help

The 35-year-old, hailing from Nallalam here, modifies globes and
atlases with the help of his students. Together they emboss Braille
scripts on transparent pieces of adhesive tapes pasted on the surfaces
of globes and atlases. With the help of students, he also marks out
the frontiers of each continent with thin threads. This helps him to
locate the areas and handle classes confidently.

“Lack of eyesight can never limit the freedom of a teacher if the
supportive aides are appropriately used,” says Musthafa, who has been
teaching for the past 12 years. “Many visually impaired teachers still
depend on usual models and maps available in the market, which they
are not at all comfortable with,” he adds.

The Social Science Club, headed by Mr. Musthafa, is now on a mission
to craft more such atlases and globes for the benefit of visually
challenged teachers.

The club is undertaking the effort without charging extra. “To reduce
cost, we collect globes and atlases from clients. It takes only an
hour to design a globe perfectly. We will take orders from schools and
colleges till July 15,” he says.

“We never feel that he is visually challenged. His classes arouse our
curiosity in the subject,” says K. P. Arya and Anagha Devan, Class IX
students of the school.