[AI] Query about agreements between publishing companies and private users

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 28 15:01:54 EDT 2010

Hi,

I don’t know about the particular agreement you speak of, but I have received electronic copies of books from publishers and authors for my studies based on the simple and rather obvious understanding that I have purchased a hard copy of the said book, and that I won’t distribute copies of the same. Some authors gave me the electronic version even without demanding a proof of purchase.
Of course not all publishers were willing to do this.

The only agreement I know of is the one that publishers make with a disability office attached usually to an educational institution. The person in charge of this arrangement is suppose to provide a copy of the book to the student(s)
As far as I know this isn’t very common in India or many other countries.
Perhaps XRCVC from Mumbai may be doing something in this regard.

Regards