[AI] Need info on the method to calculate the percentage of disability

Asudani, Rajesh rajeshasudani at rbi.org.in
Mon Jun 28 02:20:21 EDT 2010

Dear Ankit Jee
The problem is perennial and there have not been any precedents to my knowledge of forfeiture of job or seat anywhere for producing certificate of more percentage of disability.
It is a herculean task to achieve this.
However, percentage model of disability is not sound in my opinion, and it should be replaced by extent model which can have categories like moderately and severely disabled.
I think there need not be any category of mildly disabled, not at least for reservation etc. and so, slight impairment cannot be misused.
Moreover, certification of disability and guidelines for it are purely medically oriented, which need to be  changed.
Let us give our suggestions to the new committee, and let us discuss this in detail on AI blog.

Regards

"If you believe that there is a God, a God that made your
body, and yet you think that you can do anything with
that body that's dirty, then the fault lies with the manufacturer."

                                             --Lenny Bruce

(Rajesh Asudani)

Assistant General Manager,
Reserve Bank of India