[AI] what is Cookies?

Lissy Verghese lissyverghese at gmail.com
Mon Jun 21 23:10:06 EDT 2010

Hi!
A cookie, also known as a web cookie, browser cookie, and HTTP cookie, is a
text string
 stored by a
user
's
web browser
. A cookie consists of one or more
name-value pairs
 containing bits of information, which may be
encrypted
 for
information privacy
 and
data security
 purposes.

The cookie is sent as an
HTTP
header
 by a
web server
 to a
web browser
 and then sent back unchanged by the browser each time it accesses that
server. A cookie can be used for
authentication
, session tracking (
state
 maintenance), storing site preferences,
shopping cart
 contents, the identifier for a server-based
session
, or anything else that can be accomplished through storing textual data.

As text, cookies are not
executable
. Because they are not executed, they cannot replicate themselves and are
not
viruses
. However, due to the browser mechanism to set and read cookies, they can be
used as
spyware
. Anti-spyware products may warn users about some cookies because cookies
can be used to track people-a privacy concern.

Most modern browsers allow users to decide whether to accept cookies, and
the time frame to keep them, but rejecting cookies makes some websites
unusable.
In the Internet options menu, you have the option to disable or enable
cookies. You can find it out by exploring a little. Ask me if anything is
unclear.
Thanks