[AI] Assistance for visually challenged in Air India international flights.

SC Vashishth subhashvashishth at gmail.com
Thu Jun 17 01:19:21 EDT 2010

Hi Vamshi,

Though Mr. Ramdoss has given detailed steps where the traveller would
receive or require help, It would be worthwhile to just read the DGCA's CAR
(Civil Aviation Requirements) on Carriage by Air of Persons with
Disabilities and Persons with Reduced Mobility.

You will appreciate that these Guidelines were framed after thorough
interaction with the Disability Sector in which my organisation Svayam had
also actively participated and are quite friendly to the disabled. However,
often due ot ignorance on the part of users, these guidelines are not
followed in totality. You can find the latest DGCA CAR on the subject on
this link: http://dgca.nic.in/rules/car-ind.htm After click on this link,
you will have further locate Section-3: Air Transport followed by Series M-
Passenger Facilitation part I. For ready information I am attaching the same
in PDF to all those who responded to Vamshi's mail.

I reiterate, please ask for help and it is readily available. Generally you
have sufficient number of staff that assist you with formalities and also
once you have checked in, a staff is assigned to you until you board the
aircraft. Once in the aircraft, you have the cabin crew who help you out.
Just raise your hand  until the staff locate you or you can ask fellow
passenger also to call for the cabin crew. Currently there is no button
available to indicate to crew that you need help.

Similarly on arrival, the staff will help you with mobility and other
clearance till you reach out of the exit. Hopefully she will have people to
receive her at the airport in US.

regards