[AI] Assistance for visually challenged in Air India international flights.

Sathiyaprakash Ramdoss sathiya.ramdoss at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:55:51 EDT 2010

 In general,   Prior to travelling / while booking the ticket, person
must request accomodation. Certainly, it is mandatory for  the
respective   airlines to provide requested accomodation for the
disabled individuals.
As for as the convinient of the person who is traveling tomorrow, I
can give some tips from my personal experience.
First,  once she reaches airport, ask the  person to request help from
the gate agent to take her to the respective airlines e.g., Air India,
right?
Once, she reaches air India,  she can ask the agent to help her in
filling out the forms e.g., forms that indicate that you are leaving
India. In the meantime, they will also help her to weigh her baggages.
After getting this paper procedures done, she can seek their support
to complete  leaving formalities and security check as well. After
security check done,  air indian agent will take her to gate  from
where the plane takes off. Till the boarding time starts, she can wait
and again Air India agent will come and take her in to the flight and
make her seated. During transits, respective airline agents will come
and  take her and help her to get the transit security checks done.
Before she arrives at U.S. port of entry,  flight agents will help her
to complete some paper works in the flight itself. Once she arrives at
the port of entry,  air prort agents will  help her to get the
baggages and take her to get immigration and get  her through. After
completing immigration, she can ask her to leave outside the airport
gate or  ask them to take  her to domestic flight ( NOTE: it is
depending up on  her final destination).
For the  smooth travel, ask her to request wheel chair accomodation,
if she  has not done that yet. and it is much easier for first time
travellers.  Please feel free to ask any questions / clarifications.
Hope, it helps. Thanking You.

Sathiyaprakash