[AI] a blind scholar guided by blind teacher gets Ph. D.

Kiran S Deshpande kiranpru at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 05:26:56 EDT 2010

Hi,

A feeling of pride came to me after reading this I stood up and saluted to
this gentleman after having read this article.... Shall sometime meet him to
have a word and share something.....

Regards,

Krian

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 2:53 PM, padmanabham <padmanabam.muppa at gmail.com>wrote:

> NAGPUR: He could not see it, but the thunderous, rapturous applause that
> will ring in Sanjay Jain's ears for a long time told him that he had earned
> it. Having just won the longest ovation of the ceremony, Jain stood up
> modestly, a big smile on his face.
>
> For Jain, who is blind since birth, this was one of his life's best
> moments. He was awarded PhD in law during the 97th convocation ceremony of
> Nagpur University on Saturday. Interestingly, Jain's guide was head of law
> department Shirish Deshpande, who is also blind.
>
> This is perhaps for the first time in the country that a blind guide
> successfully guided a blind scholar. Jain is only the third visually
> impaired teacher in the university after DW Wadegoankar and Shirish
> Deshpande. Jain pursued his schooling from a school for blind and also
> studied at National Institute for Visually Impaired in Dehradun. He,
> however, pursued further education from regular colleges.
>
> "My friends, teachers and some members of RSS helped me by being my
> readers. In those days, all material was not available in Braille and there
> wasn't any technology," he said. The subject of his thesis was 'Taking women
> seriously - A critical inquiry into the changing parameters of judicial
> review and perspectives on protection and enforcement of rights of women
> with special reference to the Constitution of India'.
>
> Jain was earlier rejected by Pune University after he applied for the post
> of a teacher. Not deterred by the disappointment, he bounced back by getting
> a teacher's job at the ILS law College in Pune. Sanjay met his wife Suleshi,
> who has normal vision, when she was a student at Nagpur University. They
> have a son named Sagar.
>

> __._,_.___

Kind Regards,

Kiran S Deshpande.

DISCLAIMER:-

This e-mail message (including any attachment) is intended only for the
personal use of the recipient(s) named above. This message is confidential
and may be legally privileged.  If you are not an intended recipient, you
may not review, copy or distribute this message. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete
the original message.

Any views or opinions expressed in this message are those of the author
only. Furthermore, this message (including any attachment) does not create
any legally binding rights or obligations whatsoever, which may only be
created by the exchange of hard copy documents signed by a duly authorized
representative of the company If Official or other wise signed by the Author
on Valid Documents.