[AI] 28 toppers with visual impairment felicitated

Sathiyaprakash Ramdoss sathiya.ramdoss at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 22:44:25 EDT 2010

 This following article is  taken from

http://www.hinduonnet.com/thehindu/thscrip/print.pl?file=2010061459380200.htm&date=2010/06/14/&prd=th&
28 toppers with visual impairment felicitated

Vasudha Venugopal

— Photo: K. PICHUMANI

Achievers:Justice S. Nagamuthu (second from right), Madras High Court;
Akhila Srinivasan, MD, Shriram Life Insurance; and K. Govinda
Krishnan, founder of Nethrodaya, interacting with a visually
challenged student at a felicitation ceremony in Chennai on Sunday.

CHENNAI: Visually challenged but academically brilliant, Pradeep R., a
student of St. Louis School for the Deaf and the Blind, Chennai, is
staunchly determined to become an IAS officer and A. Jareen Banu, a
resident of a village in Karur, plans to study English literature to
become a professor.

Several stories of grit surfaced at a felicitation ceremony organised
by Nethrodaya, a city based self-help organisation for the visually
impaired, on Sunday to applaud the efforts of 28 students with visual
impairment across the State who secured more than thousand marks in
the XII standard examinations this year.

While most of these students, largely from rural schools, expressed
their desire to study English literature, some talked about their
interest in economics and music, too. As technology pervades life in
general, most of them accepted that CDs, cassettes and even ipods with
specially crafted audio lectures and unique revision techniques
enabled them to retain concepts and perform well.

Justice S. Nagamuthu of the Madras High Court presented the awards to
the young achievers. On the need to direct the efforts made by several
supporters and the Government to reach the right persons, he said, “We
belong to a State that has a visually challenged High Court Judge and
several extraordinary lawyers who perform equally well and sometimes
better than others. The need of the hour is Government's support to
aid them scientifically and use technology to provide better training
assistance.”

“We live in a technological age where distances and face to face
communications don't matter much. All that we ask for is acceptance
from the society and an opportunity to prove our ability. We seek
support that doesn't dismiss us or limit us to certain stereotypical
professions,” Mr. Govinda Krishnan said.

The other guests included P.N. Prakash, advocate, Akhila Srinivasan,
managing director, Shriram Life Insurance.