[AI] problem with Walking

harish harish at accessindia.org.in
Wed Jun 9 13:26:17 EDT 2010

Dear Rahul

The cane has more function to do than a support. It is a probe which will
give a blind user the texture of the surface. for instance on a road the
surface is smoother towards the middle of the road and becomes progressively
rougher towards the edges. Hence the differential of rough and smooth
surface helps us not to land in the middle of the road and keep a straight
line along the road even if the path is not straight. The length of the cane
should  be ideally chest height. this gives us 2 step response time to
respond to situations.

The walker cannot do all that and if there is a pit there is greater chances
he would go down with a walker.

Harish Kotian