[AI] FW: GOOD NEWS!!!

Suhas Karnik suhasvkarnik at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 11:42:56 EDT 2010

From: secretariat at ncpedp.org
To: jsocialactivist at gmail.com; jayanth at aifoindia.org; j.raveendran at abilityfoundation.org; jeeja.ankur at gmail.com; vssd1998 at gmail.com; kkothari at sightsavers.org; viklangsanghpatna at yahoo.com; maingimayank at yahoo.co.in; dlu.south at gmail.com; nileshsingit at yahoo.co.uk; parag at senseintindia.org; ppanchal at hi-india.org; paulramanathan at gmail.com; poonatish at yahoo.com; Praveen.Kumar at vsoint.org; mizargar at yahoo.com; rajiv_alathur at yahoo.com; rajive.raturi at hrln.org; rajvenkat111 at gmail.com; shantiauluck at gmail.com; shivani at accessability.co.in; npdoap at gmail.com; sruti_m at hotmail.com; suhasvkarnik at hotmail.com; jayakumar.vaishnavi at gmail.com; vandanabedi at yahoo.com; kalra_virendra at yahoo.co.in; ykapadiya at gmail.com
CC: javed_abidi at ncpedp.org; dorodi_sharma at ncpedp.org
Subject: GOOD NEWS!!!
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2010 18:12:03 +0530

Dear Friends,

I am grinning from ear to ear as I write this E-mail. A year and a few days into the disability scetor, and each time I am amazed at the power of advocacy!!

You all are aware of the Committee formed to draft a New Law. You are also aware that DRG had demanded that it include more disabled people in it. While a lot of people did feel that we should let the Committee be, anyone who knows Mr. Abidi will obviously know that he is never someone to give up so easily or, someone who will ever compromise on the principles he has stood by for the last 2 decades - 'Nothing About Us, Without Us'!

We had suggested a few names to the Minister and now after a candle light vigil and a hunger strike, we finally got what we wanted. The following of our colleagues have been included in the Committee:

Shri A.S. Narayanan of National Association of the Deaf
Ms. Bhargavi Davar of Bapu Trust for Research on Mind & Discourse
Shri J.P. Gadkari of Parivaar

Shri K. Ramkrishna of National Association for the Blind (NAB) – India

Shri Rajiv Rajan of Vidya Sagar
Vandana ji, Syamala ji and Shanti ji played a sterling role in this success of our's. They were the ones who consistently spoke to the Ministry officials day in and day out to get the message of the disability sector across.

Also a lot of credit goes to Rajiv, Srinivasulu, Paul Ramanathan, Meenakshi and their collegues who came to Delhi for the hunger strike and refused to take things lying down. Hats off to them!

We now hope that this Committee will be able to come out with that magic draft that will ensure the paradigm shift that the sector has long been demanding!!

With best regards,

Dorodi Sharma
Programme Manager

National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP)
A -77, South Extension Part II
New Delhi - 110 049, India
Tel.: 91-11-26265647 / 26265648
Telefax:011-26265649